Friday 25 October 2019

Oct. 23 off to Carleton Place

We had a mission. We were off to Carleton Place. First stop was in Perth, to buy a new wifi system. Ours was loading and downloading at 145 Mbps. Since it was both of our computers, I determined that it was our airport extreme base station. It dates back to 2012. I checked online to order another, but couldn't find it. A desperate call to Caitlin, and she said they don't make them anymore!

They were a nice little system. The new one is bigger. The cord is too short, too. I cannot put it up on the top shelf.


Meanwhile, Perth...
I finally snapped a photo of the new signage on the roads. They've been having trouble with trucks. These are residential streets, in many places. I'm not sure more signage helps.



We need a ring road, you see. There isn't much appetite (or 💰)  for it, despite all the trucks that mosey on through the centre of town.



Three seasons: bugs, construction and snow. That said, we need the infrastructure. This is a high traffic road.


This madman. There was clearly signage saying construction, 60 km/hour.



We were on the right, in a passing lane, but the road was under construction and we had to merge. He roared up to pass, not allowing us in, and he veered out into the other lane. Determined to get ahead of us. Basta. Don't listen to the sound. Grampa swore!



It's a big project!



There was a long line-up waiting to go through.

construction from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


In Carleton Place, in Staples, I shlepped the six boxes of papers onto the counter. The clerk weighed them, and 100 lbs. of papers went for shredding. JB has been doing a wonderful job emptying out the old papers from the cold storage room. We've had mice friends in there, you see. I have a touch of flu and have been lazing in my chair the last couple of days. Joe even went to provide respite for my client as I thought it best to stay home.



Shoeless Joe was looking for cracker jack for our next visit with the grandkids. (♪♫♬ "Take me out to the ballgame!") Jesse is bringing the girls from Vancouver for a visit next month for Grampa's 70th birthday. Grampa is planning a new 'Close Eyes' ceremony. He was headed to the grocery store.

We parked near, but not next to, this snappy corvette. This is a Chevrolet Grand Sport. Wiki lists the 2019 model as $76,895 CDN. It could feed a small village in Tibet.



I like seeing new, modern buildings. I'm not sure about infill projects, they sure scrunch them in. I looked on Google maps, but it was too up to date to see what was there before! (Do you remember, AC?) They were listed as condos (for sale: $239,900) on Google maps, May, 2019. I was hoping for an older snapshot.


Now they are listing as apartments for rent, i.e., 3 bedrooms, two baths at $1700/month.


Off we went to Boulton's for lunch.


This is where we sat not too long ago! No more patio eating.


After lunch, I ambled in the park. Then, home. More on that later! This afternoon, Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary are releasing 4 raccoons here this afternoon! This is from 2017!

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Once upon a time, I think the Moore House was there. It was moved by town hall quite a few years ago now.

https://carletonplace.ca/-bridge--moore-house-p1925.php

https://www.captroybrown.ca/moorehouse.html

Jenn Jilks said...

I thought you'd know, AC!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I like the look of the building - not the rent price though! As for B******S who are determined to get ahead of the line in traffic. Just saying I's glad to be bussing now - though the one coming through to Edinburgh yesterday had to horn a B****** trying to merge and got it wrong. Sigh. YAM xx

Rain said...

The raccoons are so cute. And I DID listen to the sound of grandpa cursing lol...what a maniac that guy is. One of the reasons I don't like driving at all.

Nancy J said...

The price of that car!!! And then I look at all the pumpkins, and although I am not sure about this, if they are the cooking variety, think of all the soup for the homeless or needy. Practical,. that's what we are.XXX

William Kendall said...

What a cute bundle of masked bandits!

I think I've only had cracker jacks once.

Karen said...

You inspired me to start sorting bins of paper today. The shredder overheated and I filled a garbage bag. One bin down, how many left??

Kay said...

Oh gosh... So you have bad drivers up in your area too. It drives my husband crazy.

Powell River Books said...

You sure pack a lot into one trip. Isn't that the way technology goes? They make things "better" but for who? - Margy

Linda said...

Hope the new wifi was installed okay, we have the Airport Extreme, probably outdated now too, gotta love technology.