Sunday 31 May 2009

Soaring

I used to dream I could fly
If I could I would
I'd wait for the sun to rise
Sail above sparling water
Still ponds and shadowed forests
Tolkein trees would wave at me in delight

Flying high with the birds
Rich sounds rise from their throats
Sirens who would herald me
Those who soar in circles
Seen keening by the shore
Similarly seeking sources of solace
Would sail away on the wind

I, too, seek comfort

...In the sparling waters
...In the deep richness of the land
...In the enduring beauty of nature
...In the perfume of pine and cedar
...The green of the moss that beckons bare toes

I would if I could
Fly high above the trees
The emerald teal of the mallard
The fauna sing in chorus
Spring peepers laud the journey
Wind rustles the tall grass as I pass

Fly away from the noise of
Man's inhumanity to Mother Nature
Soar, rise, fear no more
Smoke rises from afar
Sludge fills her waters
Plastic her lakeshores
We can give back her due
Honour and laud her
Stop the destruction of her lakes and trees
Respect her wisdom
She cries as winds rise

*Sculpture from the Lynn Norris studio - but her husband carved it!

This work is © Jennifer Jilks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more information on pollution, visit

7 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

A beautiful poem, an important message.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, Sandy, I went down to the lake and found cigarette butts and wrappers from boat supplies floating in on the wind. Disgusting.

Pierre said...

An inspiring poem and a fascinating sculpture - thanks very much for sharing!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, Pierre. We like quirky art like this. Muskoka has some great artisans.

Derrick said...

Hi Jenn,

I liked the image of Tolkien trees waving to you! A strong plea for the purity of nature to be left unmolested.

Janie said...

Love the Tolkien tree and the poem. If we could fly like the birds and look down on what we have wrought, surely we would take better care of our earth.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are right, Janie. Oprah did a show about this massive collection of plastic in the ocean. Due to currents it collects. We need to stop letting balloons go, stop using so much plastic.