Sunday 10 May 2009

writing about...

It has been a busy week. My volunteer work has consumed me, in a good way. I am happy to give back to my community. My friend, Derrick, in Scotland, mentioned me. How delightful! It is true that we have an amazing community of readers and writers. What is fun is that a local journalist, Kerri, is doing an article on Muskoka bloggers. I explained that I really didn't connect with too many local bloggers. I am having fun connecting with people from all over the world.

I have been doing a lot of writing and reflecting about health issues, such as palliative care and pain management. I have Google alerts for these topics and happened upon a BBC News article on how pediatric cancer patients are dying from infections. In this world, we do much research, yet we ignore much of it, as well.

I think the issue is time. With too few professionals out there and the demands of reporting procedures, concerns about accountability and such, we are hard-pressed to to the things that are the most important.

Is this just me or do others find this as they move through the world? We know a great deal about good health and health care practices, but it is simply not applied to every day life.

1 comment:

Derrick said...

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for returning the favour - twice!

Where health is concerned we seem to be all messed up. Our lifestyles don't help and we know that. I'm as guilty as the next person. We spend a fortune on researching better cancer treatments/drugs and then say we can't afford to prescribe them. Or, "you don't qualify"!