Monday 11 May 2009

MTM - Mother's Day

This is a reflection back to Sunday, for MTM post!

My husband went into town Sunday morning. Neither of us have living mothers. When he returned, he noticed something in the woodpile. He unloaded groceries, like a good boy, and came in to tell me about this something special. He dragged me out to the woodpile.

A greeting card, featuring none other than our wicked Beatrice (formerly Butch), the raccoon, who must have made the choice. She's pretty bossy on the deck. I am sure there was a fight over which card - and she won. The card was signed by all those with furs, fins and feathers: 5 geese, 6 ducks, 3 cats, two goldfish, and the various raccoons, & birds at the bird feeder.





It was awfully cold in the garage this morning, glad I had my thick sweats on! The wine was a perfect temperature.




What a lesson in racial relations and cooperation!


The wine is a lovely white, chosen, likely by Lonesome Charlie (another long photo story) who has the most experience in the bars. Most of the others have S.O.s , and large families, even the red squirrel, and don't have time to be in the bars. They must have secretly gone into Bala, perhaps visited with Eric, who has been planting bulbs and dahlias at the LCBO, with some advice from myself.

Perhaps they asked Eric for advice. It is usually Bill who directs us towards that $65 bottle - which is above their means. I am sure Eric gave them some options. Butch, Charlie and the others live on a limited income and likely had to watch their money!


Lo and behold, my precious creatures all pitched in to get me flowers.



Oliver helped me put the flowers in water, making sure I did it right.



Reaching up towards me at the counter, where he is NOT SUPPOSED TO JUMP UP - EVER...he behaved himself.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mother's Day Down Memory Lane...

Mother's Day 1996 - where does the time go?








Then, 1985 was a very good year.









My precious children all attended their step-sister's wedding in London, Ontario. My daughter told me the wedding was 'fine', sons said that they sobered up during the not so endearing speeches, they were so long. Not a good time had by all!


This Mother's Day started dreary and rainy and turned bright and beautiful. I was reflecting on Mother's Day in the past. I have the photos to prove it!

I remember sending my mother cards ("I don't need anything, dear!") as we were far away. We brought them gifts, and did outside chores, when we visited Muskoka later in the season. May, for a teacher, is terribly busy!


The parcel I was told under no uncertain terms NOT to open until today, mysteriously contained exactly what I had wished for! A hot air popcorn popper (I am addicted to it!) My miraculous family! Granddaughter Josephine signed her card, too.

Despite attending their step-sister's wedding out of town, all of them phoned me. What a great day!

8 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Very cool. The animals in your neck of the woods are very fortunate to have you.

Lyzzydee said...

Happy mothers day, what a great story!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Travis & Lizzy! I hope it's not too silly. My businessman, retired husband gets rather funny in his old age! :-)

I keep explaining to the kids that we are spending their inheritance on bird seed, but they are OK with that!

at the cottage said...

What a nice day for you Jenn. I enjoyed your pics as I recognise them, esp the LCBO *blush* LOL. You are so lucky your fur, feather and fin kids remembered you also. Lucky you - lucky them.

Happy Mom's Day Neighbour.

Jenn Jilks said...

Hello neighbour! Thanks
Happy M.D. to you, too!
The LCBO is a popular place! I've been helping Eric, who was a virgin gardener! It's been fun!

debra said...

Happy Mothers' Day to you! (I wrote about it as well). You are lucky to have such intelligent and resourceful animals.

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a nice day. You must be a great mother.

Jenn Jilks said...

Not so sure about that, Patti! :-0
I have had complaints in the past. Mind you I'm the ONLY mother they've ever had so they can't be picky!