Monday 11 May 2009

bugs in May

My World White Visit Show Your World meme on Tuesday for more worldly shots.

I see a lot of people searching for info on our Muskoka Bug situation. THEY ARE BAD! There is bug juice on our car window moments after cleaning it!

I was prompted to write a haiku...

spring sings in my world
brilliant petals painted bright--
black flies enter formation

Even on our deck, where we usually get a lot of hot sun, with the cold day time temperatures (near zero C. at night and +10 in the day) they are frolicking in the lovely cool temperatures that they Mosquito biting fingerprefer. They are the worst in the early morning and dusk.

I was working on our deck, and was continually harassed. I gave up and went indoors. They zoom about one's head, then dive in for your face, eyes, anywhere to take a chunk out of you.

Far different than the mosquitos just suck up some blood.


Here is a photo of one in the house, with a flash, and another on the screen. Tricky shots as they do not survive in the house for long! (Praise be!)













Remember

protect your body, don't encourage the flying bugs:

  • NO perfumes, limit deodorant with scents, make-up and hair spray
  • wear long sleeves,tuck sleeves into gloves
  • tuck pant legs into socks
  • stay in open areas
  • burn candles, or other products, intended to attract and kill bugs
  • smoke a cigar (I sit down wind from my hubby and try not to breathe!)
  • use a reliable bug spray product (some prefer DEET-based products if allergic to bug bites)
  • spray on neck, hands and ankles (I use Skin-so-soft, from Avon)
  • go outdoors midday, when the sun is hot
  • stay in the wind!
  • there are a variety of hats and bug gear if you must work outdoors
The cats, and Lonesome Charlie (our feral, hissing goose) sit on the lawn (eating clover!) and try to eat the annoying bugs, snapping at them. It must drive them all nuts. The poor horses, and other wild 4-legged ones...

The ants are bad up here this year, too. I'm not sure why. One of our libraries is having an issue. We have them try to move in every spring. Meantime we await the deer flies and horse flies!

Lee Valley Tools called Deer Fly Patches (product # AB715; photo used by permission). Can't wait for the July
onslaught of those wicked critters!





This is the bite I had 3 days ago. Tere is a chunk eaten out, and the surrounding skin is terribly swollen. I have been itchy. There are several products you can use. I put on Calomine lotion, which seems to help. I was dumb to go outside and photograph my flowers. I wasn't paying attention to the bugs around me!





All photos are mine except for the mosquito (Wikipedia) and the deer fly patch.


Ducklings going after bugs in the foliage at the lake shore:

17 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Those little rascals are bad, bad, bad news.

at the cottage said...

*tippie toes into Jenn's blog*

Psssssssst, swat! smack! dang bugs. I just came in from a hike through the marsh and as cool as it is, I was dive bombed by bugs! *swat*

I love it in Cottage Country but sometimes these black flies and skitters try my patience.

We are having serious ant problems here also.

Sometimes I think maybe I should get married, just to have a man around to get the bugs! (That's what men are suppose to do right? Kill the bugs.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't think so! My hubby just got back from doing groceries. He's not allowed to touch my tools; hammer, jig saw and screw drivers! He doesn't tend to like to do that stuff. He needs the right glasses to see the bugs - they are so tiny!

erin said...

oh how i dislike flying bugs...especially mosquitoes. enjoyed your post and commentary. have a lovely week.

ninja said...

Yack. We have black fly season now. 3 bites already. Hate them.

Guy D said...

Even though I hate bugs, this is a great post. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Mary Elizabeth said...

Interesting pots!
It is always good to know.
Thanks for sharing.
Mary Elizabeth @ Now and Then

Arija said...

The only thing about Canada when we lived there that I did NOT like was the combined onslaught of black flies and mosquitos. Yerk!
Nice post.

Cloudia said...

Just imagine the pioneers!
Aloha Jenn

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a thought, Cloudia! They had bear grease and did not wash as frequently! From the web: According to Dr. Robert Goodby, a professor of anthropology at Franklin Pierce University in Rindge, Native Americans often used smoke to deter the bugs, probably with some effectiveness.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: I'm so glad that we don't have those on the waters here. Glad your ducklings were eating them up.

Oman said...

bad news indeed. aaargh, i hate bugs.

Carver said...

I've only been around isolated ones but I've heard how bad they are certain times of year in some places. Very informative post.

EG CameraGirl said...

Sorry to hear the bugs are bad this year. It seems normal here so I was looking forward to travelling orth for a few photo shoots. Hmmm. Maybe I'll wait.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't want to turn folks away, Lord knows business owners need to tourist dollars. But you do need to be prepared. I can sit on our front deck, in the sun, in the heat of the day (thermometer read 30 degrees) and they are not around. But once that sun tilts near the horizon...

Happily Retired Gal said...

Marvelous post about unwanted critters ... loved it all ... especially your haiku ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

George said...

I'm sorry to hear about your black flies and other bugs. I hope they don't make it down here. I appreciate your tips.