Sunday 10 January 2010

Follow-up crafts in Muskoka

In the depths of winter, many are enjoying the indoors, sitting by the fire and reading for pleasure. After spending my teaching career reading to keep up on the latest research and trends, I am happy to have more free time.

Many Muskoka artisans are creating stock, like cards,  others are working to inspire us newbies, or preparing for the summer markets and practicing their art. I must admit, as a teacher, that my art lessons were fun. There were no put-downs. We understood, especially in the arts, that one and all bring talents and experiences. Kids who excelled in MADD (Music/Art/Dance/Drama!) did not necessarily shine during Math, History or Language Arts.

I loathed art that looked all the same. I encouraged kids to be creative and normally presented a set of materials and had the kids dig in. They were 'marked' on fulfilling the expectations, not on their talents or abilities.

That said, I have been inspired by professional, artistic bloggers. I had planned on sending out Christmas Cards. I am a bit late! I couldn't get motivated.

Since I went on anti-depressants, I moved, changed jobs, developed insomnia, Dad's brain tumour came back, and became full-time caregiver, then Mom died... well, we don't talk about mental health issues, but I wrote about it in my book!  I was profoundly affected by it! Now, I have trouble drawing a straight line.

That said, I knew that so many in Muskoka have created photo cards and sell them in local stores. I knew I could do that. I prepared...


  • bought some card stock paper.
  • Double-sided tape to attach the photos.
  • Found lovely Sharpies in various colours.
  • Printed photos
  • Found a cloth to wipe down the photos securely
  • Attached them to the card stock
  • Wrote a verse 
 Thank you, all my crafty bloggers, who inspired me! The photo is the pileated woodpecker who continues to visit. A nice bright red touch of its head, on a snow-covered pine tree. (The one that fell over in the storm!)

11 comments:

Tracey said...

Hi Jenn...so glad to see your photo cards!!! I will keep my eye for them at the Gravenhurst market in the Spring ?:)

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh, gosh, Tracey, pressure to achieve! :-)

Sylvia K said...

Jenn, your cards are beautiful! And what a great idea! I'm definitely going to think about doing this next year. Actually, you could do it for all kinds of things -- birthdays, holidays etc. Yep, you've planted a seed in my head for sure! Thanks for stopping by always appreciate your comments and, no, I don't step outside without putting at least some make-up on!

Have a great day! Oh, and I love the cat on the ice! What a hoot!

Sylvia

Gaelyn said...

I love making my own cards yet haven't in a while. Thanks for the motivation.

Tracey Jean said...

These cards are clean and simple. Great job.

Lorac said...

Jenn those look superb! I would love to get one in the post and I am sure that is true for everyone. Nice work!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jenn
Was surfing on an American fellow's blog after viewing his Camera Critters meme post and saw your blog listed.
Such interesting facts about Muskoka - I live in Innisfil.
Bought all the stuff to make photo cards myself a couple of years ago and only made one or two - I should pull them out and get busy over winter.

Fastman said...

Hi Jenn - Why don't you print right onto the card stock?

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you Lorac & Lavender.
Well, Ed, I thought about it, and had an idea of doing some designs around the photo, the card stock came with ribbon, then change my mind! I didn't think the card stock was of good enough quality!

Powell River Books said...

You've been busy. I bought all the stuff to make some cards a year ago and it all sits in my bottom drawer. But I'll have to put everything on the back burner. I just got two consulting jobs to write grants. No rest for the wicked I guess. - Margy

Unknown said...

Good for you, Jenn! Creativity can be a great healer. :)