Wednesday 27 January 2010

Winter visitor - pileated woodpeckers

Any bit of colour pleases me at this time of year. The ducks, geese, hummingbirds, heron, cormorant have long gone.

The winter birds provide a change of scenery, as they are seldom seen in summer, hidden by lovely green foliage.

The hawk I spotted yesterday. Just a brief fly-by, as critters are well-buried under the surface of the snow cover, in their burrows, and food is scarce by the lakeshore. This is a rare summer photo.

I haven't seen nor heard the pileated woodpeckers, although the little ones like to sit in our bird feeder/can!






The pileated woodpecker made us a visit. It parked itself on the railing in the snow, then climbed up the tree. It ended up on the bird feeder, swinging madly. The music is the late Oliver Schroer's "The Colour of Snow". Dec. 26, 2008.



With the cold and snow of January, the bird population tends to change. This is the Jan. 2008 video of the woodpecker, with its delightful red cap. 



In the summer (a lot of my blog friends are bringing out summer photos!), the woodpeckers were scolding the cat, who was in the forest hunting for 'mice friends' while the woodpeckers were hunting for THEIR supper. I was sitting on my deck, on the computer, when I heard a bizarre noise. It had to be a bird. It was the cat's fault, Sady, who was bothering the pileated woodpeckers. I hadn't seen them in months, not since the snow melted. They were squawking away at her. They saw me and were quite quiet. In the background you can hear the happy cicada, too. Another lovely Muskoka day! July 31, 2009.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,
I love your photo of the blue jays. I still haven't seen any visitors other than a few chickadees this winter:(

Deb said...

Go to http://www.b2g3.com/boards/board.cgi?user=MuskokaBirdBoard for local updates on bird sightings in Muskoka. Some folks post wonderful pictures too.

Cloudia said...

Great birds, Jenn.
Come to da beach for "Summery" pics!


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Michelle B. Hendry said...

I followed a pileated woodpecker once. He was happily pulling goodies from an oak stump and was completely unfazed by the fact that I was less than 6 feet away from him. Must have been a great buffet...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wonderful videos -- thank you for re-posting them; I wasn't following you back then. The woodpecker is just so ... cute. There's no other word to describe it!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: What a beautiful bird, I saw one flying once but never sitting to get a photo. I have a Red-Bellied and Downy that come to my suet.