Wednesday 6 January 2010

Happiness is...

I just participated in the Book Review club: Happiness is...
It's that time of year.
Reading, writing and bird watching give me a break from volunteering. 

The critters do move under the snow.
The pilliated woodpecker  is a delight in the sunlight hunting for lunch.

Mitz thinks happiness is sitting under the wood stove. Seriously, directly underneath...


The other two cats continue to be rambuncious.

I like looking back over the year.

The video shows images from Jan. 10, 2008, after the wind storm.


The trees fall over so easily. The maples bend in the wind, but the big tamarack are at the end of their life in this forest. They are old, brittle, and cannot bend. Like those of us who have made it past a handful of decades, you learn when to bend.

Their shallow roots do not hold them in the face of the terrific wind storms. I have learned about my roots. Even though they have gone, mom, dad, various aunts and uncles with whom we spent many happy hours, the memories ground me in good times and a happy life. I have no complaints.

This storm knocked over trees, allowing the birds to get into the nooks and crannies to search for those illusive snoring bugs. Good things come of unhappy events.

3 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Its cold her (for here) and the wind is howling. The trees that are left in Oklahoma are pretty good at bending in the wind.

Martha Z said...

I find myself musing over your comments on roots.
I've just finished the family history books for my sons, nieces and nephews. I look at the photos and feel glad for the family I grew up in. I know that sometimes things were not rosey but those things are but faded memories. I have a sib who dwells on the bad and for her the good times have faded so as to be almost nonexistant.
I sometimes wonder, did we really grow up in the same house?

Jenn Jilks said...

It is an important trick, Yogi!

This is a common story, Martha. I know what you are saying. Nature vs. Nurture.