Wednesday 13 January 2010

Serendipity

I ordered a new book - bad, I know, no room at the inn for more books, two come in, two should go out to those with more space.
But Serendipity was one of the chapters in a book I bought to help me in my Creative Writing project at both Beaver Creek and The Pines. It is called "Writers Have No Age".
One of the writing prompts: serendipity: "something agreeable received but not sought".

On my way to visit a Hospice Client, I was driving along a very quiet road, where most cottagers have gone home for the winter. I took a wrong turn, ended up on a road that took me the long way around and closer to the Bay.

Doe, a deer, a female deer!



No, two dear deer. Watching me like hawks - well one of them was.

How precious. I was on my way elsewhere and was stopped in my tracks, well, car! Thinking I was lost, and already late to visit with my precious client,  I glanced out over the frozen water.

I stopped, hauled out the camera, swore because I didn't have the zoom lens, and spotted three deer together.



My client told me that she had had four deer pass by her house, with two stopping in her back yard to feed on the buds awaiting spring. 
What was really fabulous, was that when I decided to go to my next appointment (I am teaching a Cr. Wr. course in the local pen), still taking the same 'wrong' way long way road, they were still hanging around and crossed the road in front of me!



And so well-hidden in the bushes as I passed them.




Nature is grand!

5 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

They are SO cute! And you are so lucky to have them visit. I fully expected to see plenty of deer in the neighbourhood since we moved to Muskoka but, alas, haven't seen a one. Now I know why – they're all hanging at your house! Nice pix, Jenn!

Anonymous said...

Too right it is. Wonderful shots. You are blessed to enjoy such glimpses of natures delights.

Jenn Jilks said...

That was the thing, Cathy, I was on my way to a client's house, on the other side of Lake Muskoka from my home, and took a wrong turn! My client told me that they visited her back yard nightly. I showed her their photos on my camera.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The deer are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I haven't been checking on you so much lately. I've had a busy period.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: So nice to see the deer on the ice and in the woods.