Sunday 2 June 2024

June is looking promising

 It is a new week. It is June. We've enjoyed 🎾 tennis being played in Paris, although half the battle with the rainouts is to figure out when, where, or if they are being broadcast. 

I am happy to start a new month. The Mother's Day basket from Caitlin is so beautiful. This is a glorious season, when we have enough rain and sun. 



Those of you in our latitude will appreciate how much the spring means to have the brilliant colours. All we need now is a balance of sun and rain for the summer. 

As discussed with a couple of bloggers, you put on bug spray (or netting), do your work, and shower. It is necessary. JB uses a anti-bug hat.




I have to remove the moss and encroaching twitch grass and weeds. It's tricky with the phoebes coming and going. I don't want to disturb them too much. There are various methods, other than hand pulling them. If I can't get the roots I'll use vinegar water from dill pickles, etc., or sprinkle salt. 

Our growing season is relatively short. The Hops Vine is growing very fast. Here is May 17. Growing like mad underneath, and not up to the railing. I took this photo to show Fred on the lower deck, but it shows my rain gauge, and the railing.


May 31st I figured I ought to put up the green twine supports. The vine is up over the top of the railing, kind of swinging in the breeze as it searches for something to wind around.


Out front, the clematis is blossoming. I reached up over my deer fence to grab this. Now, at 5'4", it is tricky!

After working on the lawn tractor I finally managed to have a full tank and a full battery. I worked on Oliver's Lot. I just create a path for walking. The wildflowers can grow on either side. The Field Hawkweed is wonderful. Mind you, this is a spot where the soil is less than shallow! 

6 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Everything is up and growing for you!!

Anvilcloud said...

Sue just came in for a shower. She was drenched after about 20 minutes of yard work.

RedPat said...

You are always so busy.

Nancy J said...

Your spring garden is getting full of colour, and so glad the lawn tractor is in working mode again !!

Elephant's Child said...

Your plants certainly make the most of their short growing season.

tz_garden said...

Wow, look at the change - incredible! You are so lush now.