Sunday 30 June 2024

Busy times in town...

 Friday was a bit of a challenge. I realized I needed to get cat goop at the vet, and buy cat crunchies. I popped on a dress (so simple - fewer choices to make) and ran out the door at 9 a.m. Despite it being the long weekend, it was not too busy. Judging by the traffic I hear this afternoon (as I write this sitting on the back deck), things are getting busier. 

There was a loud German Shepherd barking in the corner at the Vet's office, right where the cat food sits. How can people let their dogs bark like that? She didn't even try shush it. I covered my ears as my tolerance for noise is nil, nada, niente! I thought I was going to throw up. 

This is what we hear all the time:

motorcycles from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is where Cinnamon went after I put the Bravecto on the back of his neck. He can't reach it, and it does an excellent job. He was not pleased. I was forgiven later.

 


We've a bullfrog in the goldfish pond and several in the frog pond. I wonder if my little fishies are safe?! In the first photo, below, you can see some orange in the lower left under the lily pads. 

Down at the frog pond, you can hear the bullfrogs. Sound up if you like the sound of summer. Muskrat had two more visitors, a red squirrel and a chipmunk. Previously it was bear, skunk, and a raccoon. It's a busy spot. 
 

Muskrat's dock visitors from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

On the back deck, we've had a regular visitor. It seems to be just one, or at least one at a time. A European Hornet. Bruce and Kit, on our nearby lake, had identified captured one, photographed it and came to this conclusion. They are harmless if you don't swat at them or bother them. The hornet, not Bruce and Kit! It reminds me of the hornet we had nesting in the pine tree one year.

European hornet from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Dense blazing star, I think! I still can't find the list of plants I put in here. I am that kind of gardener...



I've been working on the aquarium. Now, the guidelines say to clean out all the caulk from the corners, finishing off with rubbing alcohol to remove all doubt. Do you know what happens when you stick your head into an aquarium with a rag dipped in rubbing alcohol? You get a bit light headed.  This is trickier than I thought! I'll keep plugging away, a few minutes at a time. 

I had a swift conversation with Jesse in Vancouver. They've been swimming, paddling, and enjoying the long weekend. They'll go down well, although there are two families visiting them at their cottage this weekend. Yay, summer!

It was a rainy day Saturday, the first day of the Quinte Air Show. Maybe today, Sunday, with clearer skies they can do their thing. 

Monday is Canada Day, we will be 157 years old.  I'm hoping there won't be too many fireworks. We've American cottagers who set them off for July 4th, as well. 

Here is historical June vs. July rainfall. We shall see what the new month brings.




11 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Boo to the person letting their dog bark in a public space. Very inconsiderate! Love the sound of bullfrogs. Hope you can see the young muskrats when they emerge. So many delights at your patch.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Canada Day! Cats must have what makes them impervious to ticks, it being for their own good. Yet cats have always been trying to teach us that they are the only ones who know their own goodness! Yes that alcohol isn't so great to inhale! Take care!

Pradeep Nair said...

Here, too, June - July is the rainy season, what we call monsoon. With weather patterns going on a tangent, it's tough to predict how the weather will be.

Nancy J said...

We have a very noisy street, and after 5 years, I am still not used to the racket as cars and bikes speed past.Oh for a traffic cop or speed camera. Vancouver, like so many other Canada places is SO warm now.You can bet I'll be watching the weather there from the 6th !!!

Jeanie said...

Oh my! I love Cinnamon's cat house! Yes, all will be forgiven -- on her schedule, not yours.

RIck is more noise averse than I (although it DOES wear thin). Here at the lake it is jet skis, akin to your motorcycles. I can't do a darned thing about them and it's useless to grouse on it (but that doesn't stop Rick!)

Divers and Sundry said...

My nextdoor neighbor has 5 dachshunds that bark, and I feel your pain. Happy early Canada Day! I've never had an aquarium that big. Managing it must be time consuming.

Elephant's Child said...

I am also noise averse and have considered wearing earplugs when I go out. We have a near neighbour who loves to rev his car when he goes out and whose car stereo can be clearly heard inside our house.

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy Canada Day!

All the best Jan

Red said...

Some of these little critters are persistent as in the muskrat who has visitors that mess with his house.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

We are anti barking dogs as well. Ours do bark once in a great while, maybe a couple barks a week, but not that constant annoy barking you are describing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Our street can get very loud, over the years we see a lot more traffic and visitors to the lake. Cinnamon has a nice little home. Love the frog photo.
Have a great day and happy new week!