Sunday 23 June 2024

A storm rolled in!

The person who bought the former gun range property is re-appealing, although I don't think he has a leg to stand on. While I am on it, he has officially severed three properties. He has sold Property #1, having sold #3 in December. I presume the old farmhouse on lot #2 is still being renovated. It was in sad shape. There is an upper story apartment.  It is still for rent, for July 1st. 


  • Dec. 9th – Property #3 sold Dec. 9th for $135,000 (lowered from $165,000 to $140,000). It is 1.9 acres.
  • May 2024 – Property #1 has had its price reduced in December ( $185,000:  $144,000: $130,000).  It sold for $121,000
Anyway, back to my story. We'd planned to eat dinner by the water. That didn't happen, as a huge storm rolled in. I love the clouds.

I set up the videocamera:

I was sitting on the back deck, when the storm rolled in. The live map of lightning strikes did not bode well for sitting on a patio for dinner.

storm rolls in from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After the clouds rolled in, there were 22 vultures flying!
 

22 soaring vultures from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

If you like a good storm rolling in, here is one! The thunder was lovely, the wind blew, and the clouds were amazing.

June 20 storm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We drove to Rideau Ferry to meet a friend for dinner. There are a lot of signs up regarding a cycling tour. We had to stay off the roads Saturday! I still cannot understand how and why the "Say No to the Gun Range" signs weren't allowed on country roads, but this is acceptable. I tried to look up this event, but they are a bit vague! 

Off we went. This dude was merrily making his way, with cars veering over the centre line to avoid him. I'd be scared!



I didn't take photos of the afternoon, but we were forced to eat indoors. This usually only happens in winter! I prefer the outdoor patio, or the screened in annex, but they wouldn't let us sit there in the outdoor porch either. 

My other disappointment is the new menu. They do not serve pasta any more! It is my favourite. This was March, 2018. We often eat here.

We arrived at 4, and a table beside us was reserved beside. We were actually sitting in the alcove  (file photos!), behind where the server was standing. I'd asked for a quiet corner, but that was not to be. There was a woman in the group, with that female laugh, loud and obnoxious. I have a bad startle reflex with noise. I had to plug my ears. JB actually took out his hearing aids, it was so loud. That is the issue with hearing aids, it amplifies all the sound, not just the conversations at our table. Even the server had to being raising her voice with the noise from the group.

It was difficult for all three of us. We hurriedly asked for the bill and headed home. What a day! Saturday I cooked up a couple of hamburgers. It was peaceful as we watched Escape to the Country!

9 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

You do get big storms there! I guess I don't have enough space to see ours...though I could drive to higher places to do so. So sorry your lunch wasn't pleasant. A change in menu is not welcome if it's your favorite!

RedPat said...

We were in a crowded pub yesterday and there were a few really loud women. The female voice seems to be more noticeable than the lower tones of a male voice.
I wanted out of there.

Karen said...

We hate going out to restaurants to eat. My preference is to get some take out and go to a nice spot in nature. Sad isn't it?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I've been here on your site for ages,Jen, getting caught up on your news. Watched all the videos and enjoyed them very much as I listen to the very heavy downpour of rain we are having. The rain has been so heavy at times all this week. I do hope we get the sun back soon! Thanks for sharing!

DrumMajor said...

Did you ask the vultures what they were waiting to eat? Did the storm and lightning zap and create a meal? Are they after the cycle riders? We have falcons that play in the skies like that. LInda in Kansas

Nancy J said...

JB, my hearing aids have different programs, and I can adjust them for Personal, Crowd, Outdoors, Telephone and Custom , not sure just what Custom is yet. They are in the ear moulded ones, Starky brand. I find they do bring in the car engine and road noise a lot, and I find it hard to hear Hugh talk in the car!!!When there is a road cycle race, signs do get put out quite a way before the cyclists route, but it is wise to avoid the road that day.We got caught up once, it was difficult to drive!!!

Elephant's Child said...

Glad you enjoyed the storm. Sorry about the dinner. Escape to the Country is excellent comfort viewing. We usually like the mystery house best.

Jeanie said...

Pity about the noise -- and not being able to sit outside. Not the relaxing, mellow dining out one plans. Rick says Canadians are much more courteous to cyclists on the road than Americans are.

Divers and Sundry said...

We could use one of those rainstorms here. They keep passing us by

What a shame about the restaurant. I am always disappointed when I go somewhere with a patio they won't seat people on.