Thursday 29 June 2023

Summertime!

My new header is a throwback to the days on the lake. I forgot to mention it! That is Caitlin on the dock, Isabelle in her carrier, and Josephine walking on the dock. Hard to believe our grandies are ages 13 and 15 now! Thanks, Red, for mentioning it! 

The roses! 


This rose bush has blossomed, as well.

The basil is growing well. It is nestled in with the petunias, lobelia and marigold. 
I had trouble doing a photo, but in the basil was a virginia ctenucha moth. I hatched one, once: New hatchling: Virginia Ctenucha. Can you see it hiding from me?!



We've had a bit of rain over the past week. The pansies Emily holds are soaked. There is no drainage hole. I decided to give her a bridal veil. 

I tried photos of the lilies. It is amazing how the iPhone can grab me two distinct photos.

Joseph Brian stopped on the driveway on his way home. There was a turkey hen with some poults.



They move through irregularly. I saw them out back, but didn't see any chicks. I guess they were lost in the grass. They are wonderful visitors, as they eat bugs, including ticks.
They know enough not to frequent the same areas on a regular basis, that would make them vulnerable. These are photos JB took with his little camera, he roared in the house all excited! They came around to the backyard.

I ran out back with the camera. About 24 seconds in, she gave Fred what for. I think I counted 6 poults.

turkey hen meets Fred from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It's going to be another smokey day. I hope everyone manages! 

13 comments:

Tom said...

...the turkeys are a delight to see.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun to have that interaction of Mama Turkey and Fred. It's so cute...of course Mama has to protect her half dozen little guys. Wonder when Fred will have hers.

Anvilcloud said...

Life and fun keep rolling along.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Oh how your garden grows!

I had recognised your banner - it's a fine summer subject. YAM xx

RedPat said...

Roses are so beautiful.

Nancy J said...

Momma Turkey is so defensive, "Don't you come near my family "!!! Hope the smoke stays clear of you.

Elephant's Child said...

Enjoy your summer, as I am enjoying winter.

Olga said...

I can so realistically imagine the smell of the roses -- and the basil-- from your pictures.

William Kendall said...

Fred is just curious about the birds.

Red said...

Yes! Okay! Things definitely sliding from spring into summer.

River said...

I like the bridal veil on the statue. Are you able to drill a drainage hole for the petunias?

River said...

Oops, I meant pansies.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful flowers and I love the turkeys. Our air quality and skies are so bad from those wildfires. Have a happy day and a great weekend.