Thursday 1 June 2023

Welcome to JUNE!

🎾 Tuesday was a busy one. There were three tennis games to follow. Part of me felt guilty sitting there, so we made sure to get up, do something, and get back to the games. It is better for my foot, and in this heat! We puttered, while nursing various ailments. Ain't aging is grand! 

💉We've boosters booked for COVID! 

We had good news that we will have one last Summer Gramma Camp in July! The girls are growing, and they have friends to hang out with. They are traveling to New Zealand for 3 weeks in the summer, as well. Hopefully, all will work out and they can meet up with Jean!

We finished watching a series, Injustice. It was a powerful thriller, with twists and turns. We sit, watch, and swat at indoor mosquitoes! 

🐣While I knew there were eggs in the bluebird nest box, I think there must be another pair of House Wrens in the green nest box. I saw a little head peeking out. Then, flying to the flagpole. 

One robin fledged Tuesday morning, another between then and Wednesday, while the third made a Hail Mary Pass and took off. I believe we had three fledge. Here are the last photos I have of them.


We are done! I want to rearrange the furniture on the deck. However, the phoebes... Here is the cowbird dominating the nest. The wee phoebes are days younger. Cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds' nests.


The cowbird has fledged, leaving the baby phoebes to thrive. Here it was on Tuesday. Wednesday morning, when I donned gear at 6 a.m. to fetch trailcam cards, I peeked and it was gone. 


We like to see the garter snakes. They are harmless, eat rodents, and keep insect populations at bay. This was a lovely specimen. I heard is shushing through the leaves and noticed.


The fence is looking good. I like that it is black, and except where the light bounces off of it, you can still see the plants. My lilies are growing tall. I have to pace myself in the heat, and judicious use of bug spray.

I let the cats out for a brief run every morning, usually for under an hour. The other day I asked Cinnamon if he wanted walkies. "Do I?" He's been lobbying for it for awhile. He pooched out on me at the meadow.  The bugs are really bad, and hungry cats end up on the front deck to flee the mosquitos. 

I ended up at the frog pond, and the tadpoles are huge! Cinnamon was back up on the deck, waiting for breakfast.

tadpoles from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon treed Butch, this was last week. Cinnamon is pretty docile, and I imagine he was curious, and Butch wisely fled up the tree. 

Butch & Cinnamon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The only critter on the trailcam, triggered by the wind blowing the bracken, was the American crow. It was a fruitless trek down to the camera, otherwise.


I hope the heat wave passes. 
🔥 🚒 May has been a month of fires across Canada. Alberta (546)Saskatchewan (192)ManitobaNorthern Ontario, Quebec (101 fires), Nova Scotia (CBC article, Tantallon Fire, Barrington Lake fire). 
We are going to hope for better in June. 

13 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
We've got an enormous heath fire going on the last four days near Loch Ness - even satellites are photographing the effects! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Happy June! I hope the baby Phoebes all survive.
Take care, enjoy your day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You really do have a wonderful little nature preserve. The one thing we lack in our backyard is a snake, so any garter snake that would like to take up residence here would be very welcome. The frogs might beg to differ, however!

William Kendall said...

Butch is quite aware of you too.

Anvilcloud said...

You reminded me to engage the AC. It won't come on yet, but it is at the ready. I think we will only get one more hot day before it breaks -- for now.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy June 1. It's summertime already...so glad to see your critters, even if domestic!

RedPat said...

I feel like doing nothing in this heat - not used to it yet this year.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun post, Jenn. Love the green mest box. Very colorful. I haven't seen a garter snake since I moved to Wichita. May be because it's a big city. Laughed at Cinnamon treeing Butch, Great video. I see now even the east coast of the states are being covered from the smoke of the wild fires in Canada. Such a pity your country is burning.

Happy June!!

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another busy and productive day. I do hope the fires can be controlled. So much.

Nancy J said...

Did you know that fire fighters from NZ have gone to Alberta to help with those fires? I cannot imagine how scary it must be for them all . Looks like your areas are heating up.

Lowcarb team member said...

Worldwide, weather patterns still seem to be all over the place.
Here in the UK Scotland is experiencing a very bad fire.

All the best Jan

Red said...

I wish we had more garter snakes here. I see one about every ten years.

River said...

Those are quite large tadpoles. I hope the heat lets up now and then for you.