Saturday 3 June 2023

Saturday's Critters

A new bird for me: a chestnut-sided warbler. I was filling the water fountain. The video helped me, but I had to do screen captures to ID it. The bird sang in the tree, then landed on the electrical cord. Happily, it was too hot for mosquitoes, and I could be patient to capture the moment. 😛


We've a Cardinal nesting in the lilac bush. It is a popular spot. I noticed a female Cardinal chasing momma robin away. 


The phoebes and the hummingbirds land here↑, as well. Not only that, but going downstairs for a workout, I spotted a bird in the tree being fed by an adult. Running upstairs, I grabbed the video camera (and my reading glasses) to try and get a closer look. Sure enough, there was a baby bird. 
Turns out, it is the cowbird, who had been in the phoebe nest (Cowbird in phoebe nest ). It hatched earlier than the phoebes. The parents are feeding both the cowbird and phoebes (4?) at the same time.


cowbird juvie from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Here is one of the adult phoebes.

phoebe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

At the back 40, I still cannot capture the wood duck on camera. She is too quick for this, the camera too slow. There are still 9 or so eggs in here.


Remember our Bear? The date is terribly wrong. There are way too many bugs to stand there and reset the camera date! This was 8 a.m., May 31st. He's been seen not far away, on Elm Grove Rd. I was worried about bear and the wood duck nesting box, but Momma was wisely quiet, and he ambled by. 

bear from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I'll leave you with Silverback Coyote. They used to be called 'Chad' but this one is quite different.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Great captures of the warbler, they are beautiful.
Funny bear video. We are hearing from our neighborhood site, a black bear is being seen. I am sure it is what got into our trash can and tore down my hummingbird feeders. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...your bird nursery is a busy place.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Chestnut-sided Warbler has eluded me so far this spring, and I will probably have to wait till fall when it will look quite different. Wonderful little bird, isn't it?

RedPat said...

I hope that you get to show us the Wood Duck babies.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's a new Warbler to me too! It's so neat to see something different but those Warblers are a challenge to ID!

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed seeing all your birds and the coyote. You certainly have a lot of lovely wildlife in your area.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs of the warbler.
Happy Saturday and weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

I imagine the bear doesn't much care about the nesting box.

Elephant's Child said...

Oooh. And ahhhh. Thank you so much for sharing these exotic (to me) beauties.

Christine said...

Summer is well under way!

Shiju Sugunan said...

You have a nice bird watching setup! Nice shots of the warbler, they're pretty.

Jeanie said...

Loads of critters. I still can't get my brain around bears...