Monday 5 June 2023

Animal Power

 Yesterday, I wrote about Fire and Flower Power. Today, Animal Power, but first, a fire update. Maritimes had rain on their 🔥forest fires, which is a darn good thing. They are starting to get a handle on the Nova Scotia fires. We've a new fire, today, west of Ottawa. near Renfrew, they have evacuated people. Blogger Karen has mentioned a couple of fires in Algonquin Park that are out of control. Her family has an evacuation plan. 

Fires near Centennial Lake, Refrew
We are grateful for international help! Both Australasia, and South Africa.

🐦The birds: the males came back, and then the female hummingbirds.


The hummingbird feeder attracts other birds: the oriole, woodpecker, and rose-breasted grosbeak. Mr. Grosbeak hovers at the window, looking for fruit, perhaps. It truly is able to hover. 
 

I keep forgetting to check for fireflies in the dark. This one I found dead in the water fountain. I was so sad.


Then, there is Fred. I've decided to try gender-neutral pronouns. (It is Pride Month!) They are definitely building a cozy home (see video). They excavated in the shed floor, but focuses on their home under the lower deck. 

UPDATE: They have now dug a hole under the propane tanks. This is what surrounds the house: large stone and sand for drainage.


They have since stopped!

Fred groundhog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The catbirds have been pretty active in the front yard this week. I have a video of them from June, 2016. This was so fun! I was out gardening, watching the traffic, and heard these three.

Gray catbird from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I call him Pepper, but he isn't our cat. He's been an unpredictably infrequent visitor. In order to visit us, he has to cross a highway. This is the first time I've seen him in the daytime, and I heard him yowl through open windows at 8 a.m.

pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

OK, must bundle up and put out garbage. Hopefully rain later, the front from the north brought some chilly overnight temperatures.  

 

Tomorrow, I've bear and wood duck news!

12 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

You do get such a wonderful variety of birds at your feeds, along with other wildlife. We finally agreed to put out seed for the little canary (finch) birds as we enjoy their sight & sound. I've seen only one hummingbird once at the H/B feeder. Yes giving great thanks for rain in Nova Scotia. Now to get rain in norther Ontario & Alberta. I feel all the wild life fleeing their homes in the woods & forests.

Tom said...

...those hummingbirds are a beautiful sight.

DUTA said...

Thank God for foreign solidarity and help! There are cases when no country can handle things unaided. During a disaster, even unfriendly countries will offer their help, and that's great.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh Pepper is looking for Fred. I do hope they don't meet, because I think fur would fly. Not sure, but I think Fred is near sighted, while Pepper may be farsighted...however he will go for whatever movement or smells are around! OK, waiting for more critters. Glad some relief on the fires...great to have more helpers from the other side of the world. I saw some of my firefighters in the grocery yesterday getting their food stuffs which they usually cook back at the firehouse. One was wearing full gear, which caught my attention more than the ones just in tee shirts that say "Black Mountain Fire Crew". They have come to my house because here they are first responders for medical emergencies, before the ambulance with the EMTs arrive. So when I had chest pains I had a fire crew arrive, then got a ride in the ambulance with EMTs. Anyway a neighbor had the crews both arrive at her apartment yesterday, but I didn't watch to see if she left in the stretcher or not. So glad those guys are available for us elders, as well as fires.

Anvilcloud said...

Very cool dance.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh those fabulous firefighters... thank you for that amazing vid clip. And all your acres capers! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

Rain, much needed in N S and Alberta and other places too. Some of our NZ fire fighters have gone to Alberta, that was a wee while ago, so they might still be there or flown home again. Fred, what is he carrying in his mouth? Maybe making a nest?

Elephant's Child said...

Love your birds - and your critters more generally. I am so glad that some at least of the fires are being brought under control.

Hena Tayeb said...

So sorry to hear about all the fires.

Cloudia said...

I'm really enjoying my summer in cottage country! With you

William Kendall said...

Fred is busy these days.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Amazing to get help and song from Africa!