Saturday 10 June 2023

🌈 Saturday's Critters

I've ordered some pins for our Ottawa grandies. They have a friend who uses they/them pronouns. We've had conversations about it. It is a whole new world. It is a better world. 

I've ordered a couple, as the friend who uses they/them has been excellent at self-advocating. From what they tell me, the teachers have been responsive. When you know better, you do better. Should you chose to. Some are still mining that field in ignorance, fear, or conspiracy theories. I prefer to step into 2023 with education and knowledge.


 Fred has been a mystery. I've decided, it being Pride Month, and choosing to be woke, to use gender-neutral pronouns. It is good practice. 

 🌈 "No matter your sexual orientation, your gender identity or gender expression, you belong here." 🏳️‍🌈

        – PM Justin Trudeau, June 8th.

Fred (THEY/THEM)

They are mum on whether they are nesting under the deck, or a male or female. They were seen carrying leaf debris in its mouth to the deck.

fred from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


June 5 9:26 p.m. It occurs to me, once the flowers grow taller I won't see things on the front step!


Pepper from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Silly thing, checking out the groundhog burrow under the deck.

Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I set the camera on the sidewalk, look who ambled along! June 7 1:30 a.m. There is a leaf stuck to its paw!


Butch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I have been using two cameras here, it is interesting what they do or do not pick up. I have used footage from both cameras when they appear. Hence the different angles.


🐻Bears

There was some bear activity this week: 9 p.m. June 3rd: Momma Bear and Two Cubs📹

Turns out there was a young bear June 4th. 


We've a junior bear, a mom with twins, and this senior bear, passing through irregularly. I've not seen any of them in the yard or on my walks!

sr. bear june 7 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Thanks to Eileen for hosting us critter lovers! Saturday's Critters # 495



11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
What a great variety of critters! I love the bears, they are cool critters.
They have been on the news here lately, people are seeing them all over our state. I think one visited us one night and tore down my hummingbird feeders and knock over a trash can. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tom said...

...our grandchildren are good at advocating for themselves too.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love seeing movies with bears. But eventually there will be too many of them, and some drastic measures will be taken. Here people have about taken over their territory, and are happy to see them, but they (bears) are happy to be fed people garbage, which in turn makes them healthier so they have bigger litters etc. We have a short bear hunting season each year, but that really isn't culling out enough of the population. They are seen in towns now as well as crossing interstate highways.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yay for self-expression without repression... and c'mon Fred, share more of yourself please! YAM xx

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have such a nice variety of wildlife there. We are watching a trail cam from a place near us and the bears are very active right now!

Olga said...

I wish people could learn to accept one another for who they are and go peaceably about their own lives.

Elephant's Child said...

Love your critters. I have trouble with pronouns (remembering which ones are desired) but am definitely willing to try.

Red said...

I would be concerned about bears in the area.

MARY G said...

I cannot make myself use 'they/them', unless I make the subject plural as well. My mother was a grammar maven, and I can just hear what she would say.

There has to be a work-around. Somehow. I do not want to offend these earnest and capable youngsters. As I totter around on my cane with my white hair shining in the light, maybe they will just laugh and let me go on my agreement -haunted way.

DrumMajor said...

Please be careful around your bears. They don't appear to be the friendly Care Bears. Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

A lot of critters around the property.