Wednesday 7 June 2023

Smoke, pollen, lawn tractor

 🔥The smoke is awful all over. Tuesday morning, I walked outside and the smell was terrible. So many people are helping with the fires, though. One thing I never thought of, but some provinces are helping by replacing equipment. Thing is, if a fire crew is facing a sudden wind shift, they run, and have to leave equipment behind for their safety. 


Centennial Lake was been evacuated. It is horrific. It is about 80km northwest of us. Greater Madawaska is on alert. 

The photos and videos are shocking.
 

Monday night, I noticed the sun shining on the floor. It is orange from the smoke from the wildfires. The second photo was through the bathroom window and screen, but I wasn't going to go outside in the smoke and bugs!


Tuesday

Pollen

I've mentioned the white pine trees. They are in bloom, and the yellow pollen is EVERYWHERE! This had fallen off the tree, but you can see the pollen that fell off when I plunked it on the table.


🚜 Lawn Tractor

Hoping for rain to come, I thought I'd do the lawn. Thing is, they'd moved the seat when they did a tune up. I toodled around on it for a bit, but kept sliding on the seat. I gave up and went indoors. We can't find the manual, but I knew I could find something online. I took a photo with the cell phone, and by the time I went indoors to check it out, it was uploaded.  

 A YouTube video told me that I'd done the right thing, removing a large nut and washer, but I did not notice the lever on the right hand of the seat. 



Ta da! I motored on around wearing a mask. They are wonderful. Between the smoke, the dust, and debris, the mask really helped. 

You can see how dry the lawn is, in the panoramic photo taken with the phone. We had 1 mm rain Tuesday, June 6th. It didn't help.



🎞We've been watching a show, One Lane Bridge. On Season 2, it is essentially a murder-mystery, but the scenery is amazing. The lead is Dominic Ona-Ariki, in this New Zealand production. It was filmed, primarily, in Queenstown. One Lane Bridge spans the Dart River.


"The show follows events around the latest in a mysterious chain of deaths which have occurred on a one-lane bridge near the town of Queenstown.[1] The series is also notable for its inclusion of aspects of Māori spirituality as a core part of the plot, such as the notion of matakite, roughly equivalent to divination." WIKI

Cinnamon really enjoyed the show. It was a chilly night, with a cool front moving in from the north, which brings the smoke. He got cozy on my lap blanket. It would have been a good night to open up windows, but we are keeping the smoke out.


16 comments:

Tom said...

...the smoke gives us an eerie sunrise. Take care and stay well.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Stuff I remember so well from OZ... And one thing I don't miss. Also, how slow am I? Just realised you renamed the blog! Glad Crumbly Acres took root!!! YAM xx

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The pollen is horrible right now. When there is a strong wind, you can just see it pouring off the pines

Barbara Rogers said...

Even down here in North Carolina we have moderate level air polution from the smoke. So sad to see so many fires out there! I declined trying to have a healthy walk as I'd have to wear a mask, and my eyes are already dry. Your mask to work outside does look effective. Oh that cat!

RedPat said...

I was thinking of you with the smoke since we can really smell it even down here. I think I will wear a mask outside today too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I just read the smoke from those wildfires will be around here until Thursday. Our skies are so hazy that last couple of days. Cute kitty! Take care, enjoy your day!

Nancy J said...

One Lane Bridge, we have seen it, and the scenery is as true as in reality !!!The smoke and the fire near to you, quite scary.Are you safe???

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for asking, Jean. We are safe. They've gotten control of the 75 km-away fire. It's not out. I think that since we are surrounded by wetland, it helps ease our minds.
The winds are blowing it southwest, and we are southeast, as well.
We aren't safe outdoors with the smoke. Isabelle was feeling sick and stayed home from school today. Joe has a bad cough as it is. We are staying indoors, for the most part.
Hope you are well! XX

Cloudia said...

Glad you used a good mask and glad that cinnamon enjoyed the show. This reminds me of my time living in California

DUTA said...

I have always a pack of masks with me when out. I consider this the only positive habit acquired from the Covid period.

Elephant's Child said...

I feel for you. After one set of fires here our air was in the dangerous zone for weeks. And shut doors and windows or not it gets inside. And spreads a fine layer of ash everywhere.
Stay safe.

Mae Travels said...

The fires are on everyone’s mind all over the US as well as Canada! Our skies here in Michigan look like your photo — a strange orange sun in all unnatural grey, but not clouds. I hope some rain comes soon and saves your countryside and our air quality.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

R's Rue said...

Stay well.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon looks very relaxed.

I found that the skies improved somewhat by day's end.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw the effects of those fires on NYC yesterday. I can feel it in my lungs here, too. Glad you are safe. That matters!

Anvilcloud said...

I liked one lane bridge well enough. It will never be my favourite but it was OK. We turn the AC on when I got home from surgery yesterday and kept it on all night. It’s better out there today or at least it looks like it from here in my chair.