Thursday 8 June 2023

Hops Vine, flowers, sunrise,

That was a disappointment, only 1mm rain. That said, I can't smell the smoke today, Thursday, although I know it is there. The heavier smoke has moved off to the west. It is still there, though, and many activities are being cancelled. I tried working out Monday, and gave up after 10 minutes. I just feel depressed, and on edge. 

 I put in my annual trellis for the Hops Vine. It's grown up to the top of the railing, May 31st it was just at the deck. 

 

The vine will bring old friends to the back deck: the 🦋Eastern Comma, and Question Mark butterflies, 🐸tree frogs, sometimes a 🐍snake, once an 🐛IO caterpillar, lots of ants and aphids.

Flowers are blooming: iris, iris, persian cornflower, poppies.

The orange colour is unusual, it lasts all day. I don't dare hang out laundry. I had a haircut on Tuesday, and wore a mask in the car and outdoors. Wednesday morning, it was awful. Today, Thursday, it was a bit better, but it is insidious. 

I found the first frog in the goldfish pond. (Normally they don't move in until August when things dry up!) Percy has a friend! I'm having trouble with the pump, it keep falling over. 



Goat's Beard and milkweed


May 29, I have two cameras at the end of the frog pond. It has worked well to capture the beasts!

porcupine from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We'll see what today brings. I hope you are well. 

14 comments:

Tom said...

...the sky is eerie here!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Stay safe. It seems that the wildfires are spreading every time I look at the map. It’s terrifying that this may be the new norm.

Barbara Rogers said...

What, the porcupine isn't named? I immediately (and tritely) thought he/she should be Porky. But actually that was a pig. Oh well. Blame the lower amount of oxygen getting to my brain because we also have smoke in the air...tiny particals they say, which damage lungs. I will mask when going out today!

Karen said...

Wasn't Tuesday horrible!! It let up a bit Wednesday afternoon so we went grocery shopping. It's better again today. Hoping to get some weeding done in the garden. Thankful for two air purifiers.

Karen said...

Whoops, forgot to mention: No action beyond the odd chipmunk or bluejay on my trail cameras. We got off to such a good start too.

RedPat said...

They say that we are really going to get hit with the smoke today in Toronto so I won't be going far. Stay safe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I could feel the effects of the smoke in my lungs today when I went out to water my herbs. I feel for you.

Nancy J said...

That smoke, it drifts so far, hope you get some rain to clear the air.Those garden flowers are beautiful, the Iris, I have some deep purple ones out now, they have their seasonal clock all wrong.

Elephant's Child said...

You are right. The smoke and the ash are insidious. Thank you for the cheery blooms.

Patio Postcards said...

The smoke is brutal in this region. I get really stinging eyes after 10 minutes outside. Being denied the ability to get outside into my garden is really making me cranky. Our pleasant gardening season is so short. This is such a wake up call to all who deny climate change & the effects/affects!
Your garden is certainly thriving.

Ontario Wanderer said...

The smoke has not been as bad here in Brant county. I did notice it a lot more in Hamilton however.
Our Goatsbeard just started blooming here today but I saw it a few days earlier in Brantford. We had 3 or 4 drops of rain or maybe I was just under a bird. Nothing on the ground.

Red said...

It's a very colorful time of the year if it wasn't for that dang smoke.

Lorrie said...

Smoky skies are depressing. I hope more rain comes and the air clears. AND that the fires are soon controlled.

William Kendall said...

It was better Thursday. Wednesday started really bad.