Wednesday 8 May 2019

Turtle rescue and tour

JB rescued a turtle on Monday. He was on his way to do a work out walk in Smiths Falls. He came back, having rescued and flipped a turtle back onto its belly. There was blood. So, after a consult, he went back for it. It looked dead.

We left it in a bin, while he went to Smiths Falls. When I returned after my basement workout to look at it, joyfully it had moved and poked its head out. The photo is gross, and it's at the end of the post. I know there are some people, grossed out by blood. What I could not believe is that they said it was easily fixable! Go look for yourself, if you dare.

Here we are, some of the healthy, lovely painted turtles I have seen for comparison.



Just in the last few days have they awoken from winter slumber, and cross the highways to get to summer habitat. On our way there we spotted quite a few turtles, as well as snakes. It is so sad.
If you see a turtle, and it is safe to do so, take it across the road in the direction it was headed.


It was a bit of a drive, but a lovely, warm, sunny day. The drive-in is closed until summer. 

The cedars show the flat, wet nature of the area.


From fields, we are suddenly in the bog. A painted turtle crossing safely here.


Across the way is a road I'd love to explore!


This place caught my eye. We kept going, though, to the animal sanctuary. We visited it on the way back.


It's a quiet spot. Just on the edge of the Marlborough Forest. Also, very low-lying and flooded.


We passed the place I'd noted prior, and went back to turn around. We were greeted by two dogs. I rolled up my window!


Here it is! Isn't this a hoot? In the middle of nowhere. I think it a crow who photobombed. I wonder if someone is building here, and staying here while they do so. It's pretty boggy.


Look at the sign. sigh. Our Canadian ER physicians are in the middle of a battle, trying to reform the gun situation in Canada. It's been an interesting urban/rural issue. No one NEEDS a hand gun. Farmers need rifles for critter protection. The NRA has gone after our Canadian physicians, who treat a fair number of suicides due to guns.

The rivers are full.

Now, there is a road I'd like to take!


One dead little turtle.


Evidence of spring flooding.


I like the post WW II homes in Smiths Falls, built for vets.


This farm is for sale. Built in 1943, with 50+ acres.

Yours for $579,900!
While I am on home sales, do you remember the former antique store?

It's been totally renovated. It's for sale, as well. Here is the tale of the renovations. Otter Creek Antiques: Store Deconstruction in Lombardy.
This is an old house, made new.

The water is still high.



Here is the poor fella! It is a common problem. They said they would fix it up.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Poor guy. The turtle rescue near Peterborough does a lot of repair work on injuries like that. I hope your little guy makes it through. We chase a lot of turtles off the roads. My favorite will always be the gigantic snapper who gets out and suns herself in the middle of my road now and again. We get a good stout stick to herd that gal back to safety.

Anvilcloud said...

You cover so much territory that I tend to forget what I was going to say about something by the time I get to the end. Carry on. :)

Christine said...

poor turtle.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

neat turtle. i use to see one traveling our yard ...not in a while. guess he /she checked out or moved away. found another box to hang out in? take care. hope u r well. laters. ( ;

Christine said...

Thanks for trying the puzzle today Jenn, the answer is 43. boot=5 points, the man =5 points, a telescope=2 points. 5 + ((5+4+10) x 2) =43. The last man is a bit different, notice he is wearing 2 extra boots and carrying 2 telescopes. It is a good puzzle more about noticing the details I think.

William Kendall said...

It sounds like the rescue service know what they're doing for a turtle like that.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that poor turtle it looks painful. Luckily he had his shell, otherwise he would have been squished.

Powell River Books said...

I think I've said this before, but there is a posted turtle crossing on Highway 101 on the Sunshine Coast. Haven't seen a turtle there though, but the lake next to the road looks like prime turtle territory. - Margy

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh that poor turtle.

All the best Jan