Monday 27 May 2019

The ducklings are hatched!

male and female wood ducks

Faithful reader will know I've been following the wood ducks like mad. I've been experimenting with the camera settings, the location of them, whether to use video of photos (the latter being faster). Concentrating on box #3, with 22 eggs, I've been working hard. What a mistake!
You see, I perfected it, only to have to move the cameras.
Boxes #3 and #2.
I've been checking the boxes, not every day, just when I know they are due to hatch or when the female flushes from the nest.


Sunday, May 26th, I opened up box #1 and SURPRISE, there were ducklings. I couldn't see, but the duckling was hatching as I watched. I wasn't even focusing on this box, as I thought it was going to be later. WRONG! I could hear momma yelling at me from the pond. I skedaddled.

May 26th they were hatching. Boxes 2 and 3 still full.

This is from June 3, 2017.


This was five years ago! I've never captured their jump for freedom. June 20, 2014.
Wood ducks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Stay tuned. We'll see what I capture today. They jump from the nest 24 hours after hatching. I am not confident, but I am hopeful. It's likely this afternoon.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, beautiful wood ducks. The ducklings are adorable.

Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

Olga said...

What a wonderful thing to see. They are so cute.

Out To Pasture said...

Those down lined nests look absolutely luxurious! I would'nt want to leave if I were a duckling. A special treat to see the wee beak opening it's shell. So glad you are hosting their boxes, Jennifer! As always, thanks for sharing!

Nancy J said...

What a wonderful moment in your life. Guess Momma was on the warpath. They do leave so quickly, out into the hard world full of danger.Hope to see more.

RedPat said...

Looking forward to seeing them out and about!

Anvilcloud said...

24 hours? Only 24 hours? My goodness.

Rain said...

Oh how neat!!! You're so lucky to witness that! What beauties!!!

William Kendall said...

They are quite talkative!

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh Jenn, this is very special and so wonderful.
Aren't they so cute.

All the best Jan

Red said...

Birders who've seen this tell me it's an awesome experience.

Powell River Books said...

Wonderful videos. So exciting to see one hatching. - Margy

DUTA said...

Quite a spectacle! Your posts are full of action.