Tuesday 7 May 2019

Outdoor play: bird bath repair!

I've always had bird baths. This one, we bought in Muskoka prior to when we lived there. So, 2005-ish. When we moved into the house in Bala, the movers broke it. I saw it there, thought I should move it during the process, and forgot. They didn't even tell me. The pump I have continued to use.

This one was stolen from our home in Nepean around 2003. My mom and dad bought it for us. Mom said we should put it in the backyard. I didn't listen, as I didn't think anyone would steal it. I was wrong. She did the "I told you so," thing. Prom night, they dragged the pieces across the lawn. Both the top and bottom weighed about 50 lbs.
The local newspaper interviewed me, and posted the photo. We never saw it again.
 Me and  my brother in Toronto, Edwards Gardens.
We've seen some nice ones in our modest travels.

Birdbath repair

OK, my bird bath froze, after the heater was disconnected. I really have to work on that, even though I put duct tape around the connection. 
This is my second bird bath from Hansen's Garden Ornaments. sigh.
We get a lot of birds at it in winter, as well as deer.


Sunday, May 5th, was a glorious day. I got so much work done, thanks to my personal assistant. He went in early to get me some cement. I wanted to repair the birdbath. I'm not sure it will work, but it might.

They have this stuff you use, instead of water, concrete adhesive. Who knew?
First, I cleaned it and let it dry. Next, mixing it up to the right consistency. I used JB's old rubber gloves. They worked well, as I massaged the stuff into the cracks. Cross your fingers for me.
 

We shall see what happens when I fill it. I bought a new little pump. It has a light. I had the old pump since the early 2000s. Just a simple, small one. I find it best to keep the water bubbling in summer, as it stops the mosquitoes from laying eggs. Also, keeps the water fresher. Jebao PP-333LV+LED Submersible Fountain Pond Water Pump with LED Light, 2.5W 


This is what it looks like in the summer.

8 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It looks lovely situated in your garden.

DVArtist said...

So sorry the bird feeder was stolen. I love having bird feeders in the yard.

Olga said...

Very nice of you to help out the birds with their necessary hygiene.;)

Nancy J said...

Your are the tops in " DIY" and I am sure that cement will work. Love the one that was stolen. But this one will be so welcome for all those birds who visit.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully it works!

Red said...

Bird baths work well and are worth the effort.

Angie said...

Jenn - this clearly means a lot to you, and serves the wildlife well, so I hope the repair works well. I would love to have a bird bath with a pump, but I am put off a little by having to run a power cord to it …

Christine said...

Hope it works!