Monday 13 July 2009

My World Tuesday XL

MWT White
Show your world!
My World XL

So many that either depend upon the water or use it for pleasure. Unlike the condo/hotel developers in Muskoka Wharf, Gravenhurst, who have blocked the delicious view of the bay.

I love the gosling with its foot up on the rock!

Just hanging out on the rock "Waitin' fer chicks. Nothun' to do. Mom won't lemme have a beer! Stuck on this dang rock with my sisters..."


I love this bullfrog. Sits there everyday, despite the heron, ducks, geese and waves!

Down beside the dock was a little toad, desperately trying to hunker down and hide from me. Can you spot it?
They are quite active, I nearly stepped on a couple as I gardened. The same is true of the spring peepers, who have emerged from the pond by the dozens.

We went to the riverside cafe and spotted these hardy rowers!









And, finally, JOS; -you can see J-O-S on her little rebar arm that holds the butterfly! She likes to look at the lake.

BTW
There is a big problem with toads:
Chilliwack B.C. closes road to protect baby toads from crushing experience

The Fraser Valley city east of Vancouver will close a rural road leading to Ryder Lake so thousands of baby western toads don't become road kill during their annual migration.

Can you imagine? Volunteers have been rescuing them. I know I saw a video of such trouble in the Netherlands(?) a number of years ago. The issue occurs when a road is built through a natural habitat between lakes and forests. Tough to build a barrier, syphon them into a tunnel, or some such.

10 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous photos! What a delightful place! Thanks for sharing the fun.

http://sylviafromoverthehim.blogspot.com

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Lots of little critters to look out for in your neck of the woods. I liked the toad best for some reason.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Looks like a great place for a photographer so many opportunities. Just love your header shot, so peaceful.

Lorac said...

Great shots. I found your toad. He really was hiding! On the road I live on there is a migration of frogs every year around this time. The road has tiny frogs crossing over all night, sometimes two, on a strip of the road about about 1klm long.

penny said...

I did spot the toad even though he was wearing his camouflage. I read some places have even built a tunnel under the road for the toads.
And what a unique garden sculpture, I love her...

Anonymous said...

What a fun place to visit. Thanks for sharing your photos.

erin said...

so enjoyed your post and JOS is adorable...i am a sucker for sculptural pieces of any kind:)
have a wonderful day.

Arija said...

We do play havock with other inhabitants of theis earth by our voracious appetite for roads, fences and houses. I do hope the little critters survive to retain the balance of nature.

Caitlin said...

I love that your sculpture says JOS! It's so appropriate - that's how Josephine can say her name right now.

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't that a hoot, Caitlin? I bought it because the pink boots made me think of Josephine. I had not looked that closely at it before.