Tuesday 14 July 2009

Forgiveness vs. guilt

What with all the press that the Silver Tsunami is being given, and my friends who have bemoaned their lack of motivation, I wanted to create this post. Much has been written about preventing dementia. I think, just like teaching your child to read by age 3, entrepreneurs are simply catching the bandwagon. We know how to be healthy. At this point, it is better to identify dementia early, and begin to treat it and prepare yourself for middle and old age.

It is important to
  • exercise properly,
  • eat well, and in moderation, mostly veggies and whole grains
  • high fibre, low salt, low fat
  • drink lots of water & hydrate,
  • drink alcohol in moderation - one glass of red per day is recommended
  • watch your weight, blood pressure, stress levels
  • participate in healthy things for the big 3: mind, body, spirit.

That said, you really need to forgive yourself. The first week of July was always my week to do the things that needed doing. After being mom/teacher/mentor/volunteer/committee member for 10 months, there were things needing doing.
Then, the second week I forgave myself.

You need to depressurize, not give yourself more deadlines, must-dos, and guilt. Go for an afternoon walk. Read, write, play, dream think. That, too, is meditation. Each day is your new chance to make lifestyle changes. Set goals and meet them and rejig your goals when it is right for you. I remember going to the gym and seeing the spandex-clad size 4 cuties, with the young men ogling them. That just didn't work for me!

I have had a tough two weeks, conflicts with guests, issues with the house (can you spell money pit?), and the joy (but pressure) of playing grandma. I find writing and reading on the computer is really cheap therapy! It opens up a whole new world and helps me realize who I am as a person - not as my role: mother, wife, grandmother, volunteer.

I loved taking yoga classes. I cannot, now, but do stretch when I can, now that I know the poses. I have a video, which helps remind me.

But where do you start?
It starts with one step at a time. Manageable goals.
When I wanted to get back to working out I began by laying out a 1 km stretch of road. I walked, crawled or ran as far as I could. Eventually, when you plug in a short distance, and you build that time into your day, you can increase it.

Here is a place for excellent resources.
I worked for CHAP, as a coordinator of volunteers. They have some great resources on their page. There are some places where you can go for support, and they will send you a nagging e-mail as you wish. Do that, if it is right for you. Mostly, it is in finding a kindred spirit and sticking to a plan. The best of luck!

No comments: