Wednesday 20 December 2023

Lots of rain, snow and visitors!

 I look to Australia, with their flooding. So many disasters. Our rain storm went east, and Quebec and the Maritimes are having the same issues. New Brunswick had 100,000 without power, 7000 without power in N.S. Dec. 19th. BBC News is showing video of the Iceland volcano eruption

We had a change here. We had 30mm rain on Monday, 9 C.., which is obvious on the radar We woke to snow Tuesday, -3 C. We went from rainy green to snowy blue. I write this, since my videos are strange and seem out of date. Our snow comes and goes.


Lots were without power in southern Ontario,  4688  4866,  4941,  5111 was the top number! Most people were back up that day.


🌨 It looked quite something!

I feel perfectly fine showing videos that have snow or don't! 

deer Dec. 9 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

King Charles Dec 10 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Back in the forest...eyes in the dark!

😼 Cat visitors – we've had two new ones this year

It is strange as our nearest neighbours have to be a km away. We've coyotes, fishers, a bobcat, mink, and other predators. 
 And, we end with a second view of the new visitor.

 

strange cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

😷 We visited our terrific GP in town, we are grateful to have him. He debriefed us on JB's bone density


scan. We've access to it online as soon as it is up. The trick is to interpret it. His bone density is decreasing as a result of the Lupron treatments, which is why we monitor it carefully. Joseph Brian is doing almost everything to ameliorate the condition: Calcium, Vit. D supplements, and regular walking (an hour/day). The only thing he could add to the regime is weight training. This is tricky with his shoulder and lumbar issues. We'll see how this goes.

16 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Jenn, love to see the visitors your way. I have a cat rarely walk through here, very well cared for so must be a house cat that escapes occasionally. I had deer and a fox at the feeders at the same time last week. I was surprised by how they seemed to coexist fine. All looked well fed. Yes, the weather has been all over the place.

DrumMajor said...

Maybe a Physical Therapist could determine which exercises will help without hurting the already present issues. I have a quick set I do to keep a should spur from needing surgery or hurting. Linda in Kansas

Elephant's Child said...

Such changeable weather - the world over.
I hope that a way can be found for JB to maintain his bone density, that doesn't put him at risk.

Anvilcloud said...

Oh yes, weights would be difficult. Elastic bands might work better. AT least he can do the walking.

Divers and Sundry said...

I wonder about cats that show up like that. I can't help but wonder where they came from.

I'm interested in how y'all tackle the weight training (I've also had bone density issues). Does he have a physical therapist?

Cloudia said...

Bless you, JB, 🙏🏽

Nancy J said...

Strange cat, he is right at home, when they stop to have a clean, guessing that means he is not afraid and feels very safe. !!! I guess he just wants to come inside and meet everyone else.

Val Ewing said...

Hi, stopping by again. I love your camera shots!

We catch bobcats along with coyotes and others at our place.

I have severe osteoporosis, PT did help me figure out what to do for weight bearing exercises. One simple thing I can do is carry a little weight in each hand while walking/hiking.

Each case is so different. I do wish you luck in figuring something out. But walking is so excellent overall!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Strange weather here tool
We too have strange cats wandering through our property but no photos.

Red said...

With the stress of balancing bone density it's good to have something surprising on the camera.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lots of weather changes! Love seeing the deer and kitties! I just read that weight training helps women (who have a different bone structure than men apparently.) But those bands do give lots of options. I hook mine on a door knob, close the door, then pull lots of different ways (being careful to use the correct shoulder muscles). Yes a trained PT would be good to help, or even maybe someone in a gymn.

Patio Postcards said...

Oh Jenn I do worry about those roaming kitties with all the other wildlife about. Not that I have any medical knowledge, but I'll add my two penny worth of recent reading; would Vit D with Vit K help JB's bone density. The Vit K added to Vit D apparently helps the calcium get to the bones rather than the bloodstream ...

Merry Christmas to you & yours. ... Mary-Lou =^..^=

DeniseinVA said...

I hope it won’t be long before JB finds something that will work for him. I had a cat come and check our deck out the other day. Beautifully and fluffy he was, seemed well cared for. Enjoying your photos and videos, always interesting.

Jeanie said...

We are having a green Christmas -- and probably a wet one. I sort of don't mind. (Well,I mind about the wet but you can't have everything.) I like Christmas snow but after last year's terror-travel home, I'm willing to give it a pass for a bit!

Kay said...

Oh me too. I'm having Prolia shots for my osteoporosis. Aging does have its pitfalls.

William Kendall said...

Cats can have a very wide range.