Thursday 28 December 2023

Holiday fun!

What a few days it has been! I feel special, despite having a birthday Dec. 26th. I was never in school that day, and all my friends were busy. Joe and Caitlin have worked really hard to make it special. We had a two-night sleepover, with Christmas and my birthday clearly defined. 

December isn't a good time of year for travel. I remember taking the kids to Muskoka one year and driving home in a blizzard. It was horrid. Then there was the time I had a quick visit with black ice on our way to Bala. It was my 40th birthday (1996), and a family took me in. My dad drove 6 hours in a horrid storm to pick us up. I should have booked us into a motel. The weird thing was that the mother of the house, it was her birthday, too. She was in her 30's, as I recall. I felt so guilty.

King Charles was in the yard in the morning!

This year, it was great. Before the kids got up, I have to show you what Cinnamon did. He could hear something crunching in the snow. I think it was the doe and her twins.  I went out on the deck with him, but I think it was the doe and twins crunching in the snow. 

We did a craft on my birthday! You glue 9 or 10 bags together, give it a bit of a snip, and there you go!



Both girls had showers, and got into jammies. We had carrot cake. Somehow, some ended up on Isabelle's face!


We had walkies down to The Point. 



What a great time for Josee's first driving lesson. Our driveway is 100m long, and she went up and down several times. It is a little different in an EV, but Caitlin is a good teacher.


Jos driving from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I walked down to the pond. It's looking quite wet. We've had rain for three days.

17 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Ah, good for you. 🌸

Tom said...

...being a teenage driver, what excitement.

eileeninmd said...

Fun times, especially for Josee's first driving lesson.
Love the deer! Take care, have a great day!

Barbara Rogers said...

How great to have family for your birthday party! Love every time King Charles IV gets into pics! Cinnamon looks so cute on sighting pose.

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

A delightful family gathering. Happy Birthday and best wishes for the new year. We have had up to 6 does visit the property but not a single buck. Last two years the buck appeared during late November into early December, presumably during the rut here in Connecticut. Unusually wet and chilly weather but so far no snow.

Kathy G said...

It looks like a lovely day. Happy belated birthday!

Jeanie said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm so sorry I missed the "real" day (but I'm all for spreading it out, too.) It looks like a terrific time and I'm glad you had the gang with you too -- and appearance by the King!

RedPat said...

How lucky that you had a real birthday celebration.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh those first few lessons of driving... 10mph feels murderous!!! It has been endlessly wet this side too. Oh for a decent cold, crisp blast! YAM xx

DeniseinVA said...

Looks like you had a lovely birthday! Thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the celebrations and your memories were very interesting. It was our daughter-in-law’s birthday yesterday. That was wonderful to see the first driving lesson. Mum has such a calm, soothing voice. It was cute seeing Cinnamon standing up like that. Thanks for another splendid post.

Nancy J said...

I'm so happy your day went well. A great place to learn to drive, I learnt on a tractor on the farm before going on our quiet rural roads in a 3 gear manual.Yr.no says you will have very cold days for a while yet, so no driving on those busy roads for you maybe. Happy Birthday again.XXX

Elephant's Child said...

Happy belated birthday. I am so glad that you felt loved and cherished - and love your craft. Cinnamon looks VERY interested in the 'crunching'.

Divers and Sundry said...

It can be hard when a birthday is so close to a holiday. It's sweet that you got your special time for the day ❤️

Cloudia said...

Your place is the fun place to be Jenn! Thank you for inviting us in Aloha. I have all the best wishes for you and your family in the year to come. Bless you

Christine said...

Happy Birthday!

DrumMajor said...

Looks like Cinnamon did the meerkat stretch to check out the snow crunching. Nice to see the family having fun. Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday, Jenn! I'm so glad you had such a lovely day. Ah yes... My granddaughter got her driver's license this year. I can hardly believe she's old enough.