Friday 6 October 2023

Cleaning up the yard

 I split Wednesday's activities in two parts. I brought in Percy, while puttering around the yard whilst waiting for the pond to drain. Next job was to remove the topper on the bench swing. There was a little tree frog under the canopy. Can you see him? They've been calling in the forest, but it's likely the last I'll see of gray tree frogs for winter.



 Top safely off (with JB's help), froggie was too hot in the sun, and moved around to the other side! I thought that was so cute!

I had to removed the rest of the vines, sweep it, and chuck the vines elsewhere. 

 


Along the driveway I went, another two ribbon snakes! They are such gentle things. Minding their business, freezing in fear, or running away when I approach. They are after insects, nestled in the leaves.


This second one was hiding in the leaves. It is nicely camouflaged! Look hard!

Back up the driveway. I'll bet this is the last of our colours. 


The leaves are blowing in the wind. You can see them on the driveway, under the trees.


The horse chestnuts are beginning to fall! There aren't too many this year. The squirrels are getting into them. They don't usually bother with them, but they seem hungry


We've rainstorm warnings. The skies were amazing: 'red sky in the morning.'


15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

You have been busy. There always seems to be more clean up & winter preparation than there is for spring arrival. Your leaf colour is spectacular. Oh so many frogs, & SO many snakes!

Barbara Rogers said...

Smart little froggie. Horse chestnuts must not be good for eating. I only know the trees can be identified by leaves, and haven't ever seen their nuts. Must have not be out walking in the right season! Hope you get some rain...send some to us here in western NC!

Jeanie said...

Now THAT is a big nut! I have to get on the stick when I get home from the lake with clean-up.

Bindu said...

I saw those horse chestnuts a long time back and thought real chestnuts. a little search about local plants helped me. Those are poisonous for people, Google said.

Divers and Sundry said...

You are quite the frog haven! I do love the snakes. Pretty little things.

Karen said...

It poured rain and blew like crazy last night. Most of our leaves are down.

Elephant's Child said...

Busy, busy, busy. And productive.
I love that red warning sky.

Rain said...

Oh gosh Jenn...the autumn cleanup begins here too. We hit 28 today, I think I may have gotten a sunburn lol

Lowcarb team member said...

You certainly have been busy.
That horse chestnut/conker looks a good size.
What a lovely red sky.

Wishing you a good weekend ahead.

All the best Jan

Red said...

Lots of variety with fall.

Cloudia said...

Horse chestnuts remind me of growing up on the east coast. Thank you so much! Jenn. I really appreciate the wonderful relationship you have with the snakes and the cute little frog. You are very wise and you are rich in nature because of it. Bless you my friend. Aloha

Jenny said...

Tree frog and snakes! Neither creature found down here in my country. I must say that I admire your wonderful header photo, a real blaze of colour indeed.

Anvilcloud said...

You were busy on a hot day.

DeniseinVA said...

Josephine certainly had a great time, her photos were so interesting and thank her from me for saying you could share them. Loved the photos from around your home and those ribbon snakes are pretty. I haven't seen any snakes at all this year. Those fall colors are gorgeous!

William Kendall said...

Time for the frogs to go into hiding.