Wednesday 4 October 2023

Milkweed tussock moths

 At home, the cute little milkweed tussock moth caterpillars. They eat, attach themselves to the leaf for a couple of days, attach themselves to something, shed their outer bits, and then morph into the larger larvae.



This plant has been denuded↓. The caterpillars fled the scene. There is one plant that has leaves left, and it caught them and placed them on that plant. You would have laughed. 



I love watching them, but they are now gone. The milkweed plants are done. I am glad I managed a last video.

munching milkweed tussock caterpillars from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


I was looking for my life cycle of these sweeties. Lo, and behold, two different places have stolen my images. The first copyright theft is by elementary teachers from a Catholic School in California. This is shameful!


I emailed them. So far, no response. Next, I will contact the school board itself.

And, another one on a Moth Identification site. If they had contacted me, I would have responded. I have given permission to several groups to use it. I gave permission for a museum to use one for 10 years for $50.


😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷 😷

💉Anyway, we are sinking back into news here. COVID is rearing its ugly head. We are being very careful.

September high risk cases show peaks and valleys, but they aren't sharing the information of where and how. 


🌦Wednesday afternoon I plan on trying to get Percy in from his pond. Friday clouds roll in. I have a fall back day Thursday. The weekend looks wet and cooler. 



In good news, we've the first black speaker of the house in Canada, Greg Fergus. He is a Quebec MP, since 2015. It didn't make the news as much as the US government ousting of their speaker. 
Also, the first Indigenous premier was elected in Manitoba, Wab Kinew, NDP. White people sure have dominated politics in the past. This is good news. 

11 comments:

Kathy G said...

It's horrible that people are using your photos without permission. I hope you get a response.

Barbara Rogers said...

Excellent news from your elections. I will not comment on US politics. I never thought of the copywrite of our photos. And today I meet with one of the admins from our recent seminar as to how to use/share the photos I took. I sure want to continue putting them on blogs. Do we need to say somewhere that everything is copywritten?

RedPat said...

It will be interesting to see if the teachers get back to you.

Divers and Sundry said...

So many caterpillars!

I wish we weren't making the international news as much :(

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh at both the thefts and Covid. I hope both issues can be resolved. Quickly.

Cloudia said...

I agree. It is good news! I'm glad you sell licensing of your wonderful images. The school board should offer you a good faith payment. Best wishes, Jen enjoy your autumn. And thank you for sharing it with all of us! Aloha!

Red said...

Interesting how blogger photos are taken from our blogs. So far the ones I've found give me credit. However, I could easily find somebody using a photo and I would object to the group.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Nice to see a bit of good news in politics!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's shameful when people steal your images like that. I might understand if your work was published in a text book, but not stolen from your blog. I hope you are duly compensated for this theft.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, it can't hurt, @Barb, but I don't think people really care if they want to steal your image for their own purposes. My friend sued someone who even removed his watermark for their for-profit site.

William Kendall said...

That's a lot of caterpillars.