Thursday 5 October 2023

It was time!

What a strange heat wave! I checked the forecast and figured I'd be happier playing in the goldfish pond when it is warm. I left myself two days of nice weather, though. Sometimes the fishies can be stubborn. Friday, the weather is to turn for the worse, cold with lots of rain.


They were getting out of the sunshine in this heat.

Well, my first peek, and we have proof of life! Percy has stayed under the pond lilies. Probably safer with critters about.

Percy Goldfish and 13 frogs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


First part was to begin draining the pond. That involves an old hose, and syphoning out the water until I can find Percy. It takes a couple of hours. That and spitting out pond muck. It is good to have projects.

Next, clean the pond pump. I set it out in the sun to dry out some. I took a break. 


Two days in a row, Nutmeg waited inside the door as I was coming in, and bolted out. She nailed a chipmunk. See her licking her lips.



Around back, a big blue bug. I had to look it up. Meloe is the genus, Short-Winged Blister Beetle (Meloe angusticollis) commonly referred to as oil beetles. I am glad I didn't pick it up. The oil is poisonous!


iPhone photos!


Inside, Cinnamon was helping himself to a toy. Good lad.

Lunch done, I headed back out. By now, the water level was low enough that Percy was in a shallow part. I nabbed him (first try) in the butterfly net. YIPPEE! 


He wasn't too happy, swimming in circles first in the bucket, and then around the hexagonal tank. Eventually he settled down. The smallest fish was nestled in safety until it figured out how hungry Percy was. This morning, he looks good, and was wagging his tail at me, hoping for food.

That was an adventure. I'll have to wait for the rain to refill the pond. With 13 frogs here, I have to think about catching them and taking them down to the wetland. We shall see.

I did more yard work, then came indoors and put the air conditioner on! A shower helped. 

🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥 🎥

We relaxed after dinner by watching Astrid. It is really interesting, a murder mystery, featuring a character who is on the autism spectrum. I taught several kids with autism. It is excellent seeing them woven into scripts that educate citizens.


I just wish that the whackadoodles, protesting against gender diversity would go home and talk to trans and gender dysphoric kids about their lived experiences. There were two tasering incidents by Ottawa police. Ottawans are cheering that three were arrested for violating laws. 

It was time. The police posted this last night:
While it is the duty of police to support legal demonstrations, we will not tolerate behaviours that endanger public safety or violations of the Criminal Code, By-laws or Liquor Licence and Control Act.


11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Love the frogs, fish and the pretty fall colors.
Take care, have a great day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OOoh, welcome back for winter, Percy! You behave around all your juniors, now, d'ya hear? Hugs and bubbles, YAM-aunty xxx

RedPat said...

So Percy has some smaller fish for company. I hope they survive.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are staying busy tending to your garden and critters. It's been very warm here as well. Even this morning we are running our air conditioning.

Oklahoma is the crown state of whackadoodles. They are in charge and have a veto proof majority in the legislature. They all try and outdo themselves for stupidity.

Elephant's Child said...

That was an excellent job catching Percy first try. I hope the smaller fishies survive his return. Sadly every country has those whack jobs. And they seem to be thriving.

Divers and Sundry said...

Maintaining that pond looks like a lot of work! I hope Percy has an enjoyable sojourn inside, though I imagine he prefers the bigger pond.

I look forward to hearing more about frog relocation efforts...

Lowcarb team member said...

Pleased Percy settled down okay ...

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Not sure if my comment came through?

So pleased Percy settled down okay.

All the best Jan

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay on Percy transfer going without hitch. And just look at that kitty who got the chipmunk! I'll try to see if I can get Astrid, it sounds good.

Jeanie said...

I love what you do with the frogs and fish. I have seen a little of AStrid and must get back to it. I found it fascinating and very good plots. A wonderful character.

William Kendall said...

The rain has been plentiful the last couple of days.