Wednesday 31 March 2010

Mental Health issues- the elephant in the room

It is terribly important that we recognize the elephant in the room: the Black Dog of Depression. I wrote about my health issues, while taking care of failing parents. Sinking ever lower, each time an event or circumstance slapped me silly, it is hard to rise above the way our bodies cope with stress and social-emotional issues.

My divorce, being bullied by my principal, dating in my 40's, then: moving, finding a new job, working with sexually precocious teen boys, giving palliative care for my mother and father within 9 months, it all took its toll on me. I was working full-time, as a teacher, with many years working with special needs students. A strong advocate for this fragile children, I felt I made a difference.

I think this is true of all the social work professions. When you deal with those down and out, ill, when your work so important, you cannot help but give your all. I have read two blog posts, by health care workers, that illustrate how pervasive this silent issue has become. No longer can we ignore it.

The Black Dog - Churchill named it first, TERN writes of her depression


Depression - the black dog - not fitting in - ups and downs


TERN offers advice, well-placed. As an emergency room nurse, she knows stress and pressure. Just listen, do not judge. There, but for the grace of...[name your deity].

I, too, fought thepowersthatbe, and ended up in depression due to normal life circumstances. My students with ill-health, dealing with bereavement issues, divorce, those in foster care who popped in for two months, only to be sent to a new foster home, kids who lived in poverty, and kids desperate to meet birth parents. It is a heavy burden.

She is right: a listening ear is the best thing. I faced antagonism and angry bosses who demanded I do more, more, more. I faced those who did not understand.

With few role models, and fewer mentors, strong women, whose leadership makes a difference, stand alone in the world still. My advice: stand strong, plant a garden, dig in the earth, walk in the sunshine and the light. Know you are a beautiful person, and you are loved.

4 comments:

Grandma K said...

Mental health, and its treatment, in really the elephant in the room. No one wants to talk about treatment and dealing with the person. It needs to change, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

zenandtheartoftightropewalking said...

been there, got the mental scars.
I sometimes think the Black dog is a friend though; because it stops me going past a certain point from which I cannot return.

Anonymous said...

Its wonderful as your other articles :D, thanks for putting up.


My site how to make sex last longer

Anonymous said...

Sweet web site, super style and design, really
clean and utilize pleasant.

Stop by my blog :: ways to last longer in bed