Monday 27 May 2024

Gay Pride, Noise & Fraud

 Gay Pride flag in Smiths Falls

We drove by May 16th, around 4 p.m. I read in the news:

Smiths Falls police arrest man for hate-motivated mischief, assault after incident at pride flag crosswalk

They arrested the man, who spit on a Smiths Falls employee repainting the flag. The press release says that the employee was approached by a male suspect who proceeded to spit on them while making homophobic comments. 



Saturday night, in the dark.

 

 Sat May 25 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've narrowed the noise down to Otty Lake Side Rd.  Someone thinks they saw fireworks. 

💸  💸  💸  💸  💸  💸  💸  💸  💸  💸

💰Friday, May 24 💳

I could scream. I was out walking in the forest. Happily I had my phone with me. The bank's credit card fraud department phoned me and asked if I'd purchased something in Vancouver, as the IP address did not match my Ontario computer address. They wouldn't allow it to go through until they checked with me. I said I was not shopping there. They cancelled my card. This happened before, and now I'll have to change all my credit card automatic payments to my charities. I'll get a new card on Wednesday, they think.

🏦  Saturday, May 25
I was sent an email telling me that we’d used up our daily withdrawal limit of the chequing account. Almost $1000 in 5 different transactions. I phoned them right away. Both my cards are now frozen. And I may or may not get my money back, after they review the file. 
 How can people do this to one another? 

The fraud department cancelled my debit card. I cannot log into my bank account online. Our banks are closed on weekends here in rural Ontario. Monday I'll get on this. 


It's going to be a long week. Direct deposits, automatic payments, closed accounts all have to be changed. 
This was the calm before the storm.

storm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am sorry about the fraud. It is awful you had to close all the accounts.
Usually the banks will reimburse your account. It is all a hassle. I wish they would go after these people that commit any fraud activity.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
aarrrggh,,,, what a bummer!!! In OZ, I have to say, my bank was totally on their job when they caught something similar happening with my then credit card. I decided at that moment (nearly 20 years back now) never to have a credit card again. And I haven't. The Visa debit system works fine for me. I have worried about this business of just tapping the phone... but I have learned that using Google Pay has a double safety approach and everything is trackable. Still always on alert, though... YAM xx

Val Ewing said...

OH NO! That is horrible.
I can't imagine that.

I keep a close eye on our accounts and that strikes a lot of fear into me that it happened to you.

RedPat said...

How awful. I wish you luck getting it all sorted with little hassle.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That is horrible. Do you know how or where they got your information?

Anvilcloud said...

Famous last words (I hope not), but I've never encountered a problem. MY main card holder does email me about every transaction, so hopefully I'd find a little problem before it became a big problem.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry to hear about the fraud - and hope it can be sorted quickly and easily.
Sigh at the hater spitting on someone repainting the pride walkway - who may or may not have themselves been gay.

Cloudia said...

I'm deeply sorry this has happened to you my friend. But you're handling it in the best sort of way with our complete understanding and support. Bless you. Sending you a hopeful helpful prayer sending you a hopeful, helpful prayer hello aloha!

Red said...

Incidents where your accounts have been entered are scary. good luck with cleaning this up.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh dear, there go another few hours of your life fighting the fraud results which you certainly didn't ask for. I'm sorry, because you sure deserve those hours looking at and filming your critters, and writing witty blogs, and just reading those you like! Oh and cooking, eating, and talking with your family! A big swear word is coming from this elder SH***T!! Now, calming one's breath, deep breath, and start punching those phone numbers, and keeping notes of which ones you've succeeded in changing. Oh wait, you need the new number for the charities. So you can wait till you have that. But stop any automatic payments. As you can tell... I've been sucked into this before. Keep cash somewhere (not in the freezer) in case of fraud!

DeniseinVA said...

I am so sorry about your credit fraud. I hope you can get it all resolved quickly What a mess this causes! It could happen to any of us. We have had to have our credit card numbers changed a few times over the years.

Jenn Jilks said...

@Jim I really don't know. They are investigating.

Christine said...

So very sorry. We cannot trust anymore.

Jeanie said...

I like your words of advice, leading with "Collect Your Thoughts." How you managed to do that when you were hit with all that you have been. That's enormous. Getting into the bank account -- yikes. I'm so sorry you have to experience this. I hope they can catch the people who did it, although they're usually too darned crafty for anyone's good.