Saturday 25 May 2024

Saturday's Critters

It is interesting watching the critters we haven't seen for winter, and others that just hang around. Fred and Freda have been making a nest in the burrow under the deck. The birds have been amazing. The bugs, not so much. The mosquitos and the blackflies are murder. The blackflies are the worst. I get oozing bites after they sneak in like little spy hornets and give it to me. Mostly on my ankles. I forgot bug spray one day! duH! 


We're missing some birds. The wood duck nest was raided. The House Wrens didn't show up. Usually the robins nest under the deck, but they are elsewhere. Happily the phoebe has nested and they have hatched. It's a feeding frenzy! Here she sat and watched me. 


The buck stops here, where he watched Cinnamon!

 

Cinnamon and Buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There was an incident and a chase ensued! Groundhogs are solitary critters, but I think he has a motive!

 

Freda & Fred from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


The porcupine had a visit, as well.
 

porcupine May 19 10 pm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The deer have disappeared for the most part! Just once in awhile they pop up.
 

buck May 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

May 20
 

backyard doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It was with great excitement that I noticed the trailcam was askew. Just slightly! We had our first bear of the season! May 20, the little twerp, as is their way, was curious about the camera.

Bear visitation from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

For more critters: Saturday's Critters # 545  ...

14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Oh bears would scare me. I'm also a sweet treat for the biting insects so between sun lotion & bug spray I need a chemical detox shower after every garden workout.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Very cool bear picture. It looks as though that little guy was scared to death of the camera. Probably just as well, I have had more than one camera destroyed by those toothy critters!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
So far this summer, I have managed against bugs - but I finally got midgied a couple of nights back! Hey ho... Wouldn't mind if I had groundhogs and deer and bears to watch too! YAM xx

DeniseinVA said...

Those flies sound awful, and the ticks but I enjoy your wildlife very much. Wonderful photos and videos! Incredible!

Hena Tayeb said...

Great pictures..
Not a fan of the bugs though.. had a cricket land on my arm the other day and I had a full of meltdown.

RedPat said...

I slapped my first mosquito of the season yesterday. It must be horrible out in your woods with all the bugs.

Divers and Sundry said...

We get mosquitoes but not blackflies. You get much wilder wildlife than we do. We get chipmunks 😂We've had raccoons and opossums but very rarely. Gray squirrels are pests here. None of your fun animals, but then we have an urban patio.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You always see so much wildlife there! And it's bug season here now too. i wore LONG pants on a hike even though it was hot. I hate getting bit by the flies! Have a good weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

As always I am loving your critters.
Except the bugs. They LOVE me and I often wind up with oozing welts. Ants are a particular problem.

Red said...

Interesting how the bear takes off and keeps running.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved seeing your critters through the week! Fred's fun, a turkey which must have heard you talking to the doe, and then bear that thought camera would be delicious apparently. Glad it survived.

Cloudia said...

Just that little snippet of video is so cool! Thanks, Jen

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see your photographs and videos ...
I'm not a fan of bugs though!

All the best Jan

Yvonne said...

Loved watching all the trail cams.