Monday 6 May 2024

Crumbly Acres

 I am grateful to live on this property. The horse chestnut leaves as the buds unfold are really something.



Outdoors I planted some new plants. Indoors, I built a chicken thigh casserole. Both good for mental health and something to look forward to! We've a big dump of rain, and that will help the gardens.
 

We're up to two eggs three eggs in the Phoebe nest. They lay one a day, the first was May 3rd, second May 4th. I went out in the pouring rain and saw three on Sunday!


I am quite happy for the winter season. It's a break from bugs and bear and such. Each season has parts to enjoy. The lily bugs are back, however. [Lily bug beetles - they have won!] The plants have been sprayed with Neem Oil, but I must make up a new batch. I'm not sure how effective this one was. I plucked a couple dozen off of the Asiatic lilies. I used to feed them to Percy, but no more.


The bird feeder is down for the winter. I shall miss it and the birds, but they don't need the food. It attracts bears and we don't need them. They belong in the forest! I dumped that last of the seed on the ground and washed out the feeders. 
Look what happened! Mama squirrel really got into her meal.

gray squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

OK, time to go put garbage out. Have a good week, everyone.

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I looked out back yesterday and thought that the insects will probably be back in about a week. :(

Patio Postcards said...

Oh those nasty red lily bugs, I take great joy is squishing them as I haven't found any spray that helpful. Toadlilies are so pretty & delicate, good luck with yours.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
And a fine week to you too! Hooroo from ever-wet Scotland! YAM xx

Christine said...

Yes winter is a break from weeding for me.

RedPat said...

That is a tired squirrel.

Barbara Rogers said...

That squirrel sure had it made…lying on more seeds so the bird can’t get them!

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty and the wonder. Enjoy your chicken.

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh the bugs.. there really as the worst part of things warming up.

Red said...

You look after your property well so that critters will come and visit you.

tz_garden said...

LAYING down in her food to eat, what a little glutton, hahaha!