Wednesday 8 May 2024

Crumbly Acres flowers and flying friends

 I am enjoying our Freds. The one was wagging its tail. I am sure they are nesting, as I saw one taking dead grasses into the burrow.

  

two groundhogs flirting from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I noticed one of them has a mark on its nether regions! The question is, is that the male of female?

groundhogs 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The Northern Flicker is excavating and doing renos!

  

Flicker nesting from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I think our rough-legged hawk from last year is nesting in the area! This was September, 2023. A juvie, methinks, as he dropped his frog in the tree and didn't manage to eat it.

I heard it in the back yard, I could tell there were a pair calling to one another through the forest.

  

rough-legged hawk from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I noticed Phoebe has 4 eggs! That is one a day. I wrote this yesterday. They are up to 5!

 

The joys of spring! Pink tulip and Bleeding Hearts!

Can you see it? Amongst the violets a butterfly.



🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇  🦇 

Monday night, another bat in the house. [Crumbly Acres catch and release] Joseph Brian locked the cats in the bedroom and closed all the other doors. This time I caught it more easily as it ended up in the empty aquarium. It screamed at me, teeth gnashing, then it fell silent. Fight or Flight, sometimes the best idea is to lie quietly. I couldn't see it at first, huddled in the corner.  

Last night, for the fifth night in a row, a bat. The first one was trapped for 3 nights. Another the next night. (Couldn't be the same one?!) Tuesday night, just after dusk, another. Nutmeg whacked it down onto the floor and I hustled it into the net and outdoors.

Our plan was to see if we can get a better cover on the chimney. The company we deal with doesn't thing they can come in this way, through the wood insert fireplace. Next is a pest control company. 

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

I wouldn't want a bat in the house, it is great if they stay outside.
Great sightings and captures of your feathered friends.
Take care, have a wonderful day!

RedPat said...

The bats would be freaking me out.

Jeanie said...

Your groundhogs are fun and three cheers, Mrs. Phoebe! I draw the line at bats, though!

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm guessing Mrs. Fred is the marked one...since I think you showed Fred's backside before without that mark. However, their tussling could have given him one as well. Bats galore for you all! Sorry about that troublesome pest to gather up and throw outside, and they seem to know how to get back in, but not back out! I do hope the hawk stays to nest nearby.

Elephant's Child said...

Love your critters. Good luck with the bat proofing.

The Furry Gnome said...

That would be interesting, but challenging to deal with.

Red said...

Well, come on. You like mice in the house. why not bats?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It's Crumbly Acres Regional Nature Park -- more fauna and flora than there are in many of them anyway! The Bleeding Heart makes me smile -- I'd almost forgotten about that beautiful Spring flower (too hot here in Florida for most of them as I'm sure I've mentioned six million times or so.) Bats are definitely one of those critters that are wonderful outside but not so much in the house.