Wednesday 7 June 2017

The frog pond and Canoodle #2

First thing I did Saturday, was to visit the frog pond, to check out the momma wood duck.  I sat for a time, watching the bullfrog tadpoles. The 12 wood ducks chicks had hatched. Off I went. She might not leave, anyway, while I was there. Sure enough, that afternoon they were gone into the wetland. You can read the stories here: WOOD DUCKS
  • BARRED OWL in the meantime, still has chicks to branch.


There are hundreds of bullfrog tadpoles in the frog pond.



Then, I noticed the bullfrog going after the bullfrog tadpoles!  Soon, the water snakes will arrive. It's the cycle of life...


Canoe ride #2, Saturday, June 3rd, was a bit tricky. I knew the ducklings would leave the nest, but I couldn't waste the day for a 10-second event!

I set off from the bay, top right on the map, and intended to cross it, but the wind shifted. I ended up going straight down to the 2nd bay, which was very windy, then crossed the lake to the other side. It was sheltered on the other side, as that's where the wind was coming from. Twas a good workout for my arms.



I told the chipmunk to be careful, as cats were on the loose.


A red-eyed vireo stopped on a branch for me!
 




11 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Enjoyed your canoe adventure. My kind of workout!

eileeninmd said...

Neat captures of the tadpoles. I love the vireo! Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
OOOHHHH at last the canoe is out and about! Bet that felt good. (Am still in Edinburgh - car needs attention which has delayed return to Hutch...) YAM xx

Nancy J said...

Warmer days, a good paddle, and the wood duck chickies have gone to start a whole new life. Tadpoles? that is a danger right there, didn't know bullfrogs would be like that. And a wee bird in those beautiful green leaves, you have spring into summer happening so fast.

William Kendall said...

Cute little munk!

Maria Glória said...

Uma belíssima sequência de fotos, com dias de sol confortáveis.
Beijos do Brasil.

Red said...

I'm surprised the wood ducks leave the pond.

Lowcarb team member said...

Doesn't that blue sky look good ...
Well done on your canoe ride.

All the best Jan

Rajesh said...

Great outing. You have spotted nice birds.

Anvilcloud said...

Nature red in tooth and claw, eh?

Anvilcloud said...

Nature red in tooth and claw, eh?