Tuesday 13 June 2017

Barred owl chick: requiescat in pace

June 7th

Momma owl is being harassed by the blue jays. She is still begging the chick to come out! She leaned over to look at me!


June 9th

 Daisy and I were out taking a quick peek. It was so hot, and the bugs were terrible. 

June 10th 6:30 a.m.

I heard the momma off in the forest, the chick SOMEWHERE on a branch. This day, the chick had fledged, but I couldn't see it. I could hear it calling mom, and mom was off in a different direction hunting. 

June 11th – 7:00 a.m.

I watched momma owl, and figured out that she was looking in a specific direction. This clued me in as to the chick's location. I believe, from my hunt the day before, that the chick hadn't moved from the branch.

This is the first sighting I've had of the chick, and it's not good. She's worked so hard all season. It breaks my heart, but the chick is dead. Lying on a branch high above. Flies are circling. I'd guess a blue jay, who harass them all the time. I'm so sad. Momma is grooming nearby. 


Here's momma napping on the branch.
Barred owl June 11th from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

June 12th – 7:00 a.m.

I've spent a long time watching our owl.I heard momma doing her cooing at 6 a.m., I decided to go out and see what was up. By the time I had some coffee, she wasn't in the same area. I thought this was a good sign. The chick body was gone yesterday afternoon, with a few feathers on the branch.  I wanted to see if she was still near the body.  

I could hear the blue jays harassing what I assumed was our owl. Turns out it was two owls. I'm hoping the male has returned, and they might mate again. This is a good thing.

I didn't get a photo of them together. These are from two years ago. I am glad he is around, though. The cycle of life can be swift and harsh.
Papa Barred owl
Momma outside nesting cavity

8 comments:

Olga said...

I very much enjoyed these owl photos and video -- except for the poor dead chick.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos of the owls. It would be nice if they mate again?

Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Out To Pasture said...

Sorry to learn that the owlet died. Next year Momma owl will be more experienced and may have better luck.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
For every joy Nature provides, there must be a sorrow; seems to be how it goes... YAM xxx (finally back at the Hutch!)

Nancy J said...

Life is hard at times, and for the wild-life, even more so, as not a family member to come and help. I hope you get to see the other owl return safely, and they start all over again.

Powell River Books said...

We see no evidence of baby birds among our several cabin visitors. Hopefully there still might be some. - Margy

William Kendall said...

The poor owl. She must be quite used to you by now though.

Kay said...

How sad that she lost her chick. It's so interesting to see her staring at you.