Tuesday 6 June 2017

Robin red-breast nesting progress

Wood duck has hatched and fled; Phoebe's have fledged 5, but laid 4 more eggs in the same nest. A robin decided to join her in the shed.

The robins are on their second nesting. This is their story, starting with the most recent sighting.

July 3

After I spooked the last one out of the nest, accidentally, they are hanging around. I walked down the hill, and here she was, trying to lead me away. I could not, for the life of me, find the fledgling in the tree above, although I could hear it!

momma robin from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

July 2 – Last one, and they are all gone!

June 26 – 4 babies



June 20 – hatched

Baby robin from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

June 12th – still 4 eggs!


June 7th – Four eggs


June 6th – three eggs


June 5th – Another egg, back in the shed location

June 4th – first egg

Sadly, when I checked later, it had't come back and the egg was cold. We saw them thinking about building a nest in the tree in front of the window. 

I took this with the snakescope.

robin's egg from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

June 2

It's tricky to photograph, as the shed is pretty dark. 

 

June 1st – Progress


The shed is a busy place. I'm keeping up with the phoebe incubation process. She's still there. I was distracted by the dead grass hanging down.

 

Then there is the deck. I was working out one day, in the basement, and I could see a robin. It was up in the rafter, here, and kind of stamping its feet, almost testing out the beam. It disappeared, then, a few days later it was apparently trying out all of them.
If you look closely, you can see the dead grass in each space!
Sadly, all of these locations will get wet in the rain.

8 comments:

Olga said...

You do such a great job photographing and documenting the bird life around you. i have been watching all kinds of birds in my little back yard -- so much rain that all kinds of tasty things are floating to the surface I suppose.

Steph G said...

Great pics! I am going to guess a Palm Warbler for the mystery bird

Nancy J said...

Wonderful to have a diary pictorial of all the progress. Hope the little duckies make it safely for the next week or so.

William Kendall said...

Whatever the first bird is, it's quite pretty.

Red said...

You keep a good eye on your friends.

Maria Glória said...

Que belo trabalho fotográfico! É tão bonito ver o fluir da natureza.

Lowcarb team member said...

You do well photographing and documenting progress.

All the best Jan

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the cute sounds from the baby robins? Great photos and videos. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!