Wednesday 14 June 2017

Smiths Falls Pow Wow: Spirit of the Drum

We attended a Pow Wow in Smiths Falls!

In the spirit of Reconciliation, I think it important to understand the people on whose land we live, work and play. Our area lies within unceded Algonquin Territory. I have made it a point to read all I can, and to understand the stories of First Nations. Part of this is listening to the stories of Missing Murdered Indigenous Women, the lack of effort on the part of police to solve these crimes, and the horrid living conditions for some First nations. I am reluctant to participate in Canada 150th activities, as well. Another part of Reconciliation, is recognizing the racism inherent on the part of many on this continent, and the racially-fused incidents that are on the increase. We must listen to their stories.

The Mohawks of Akwesasne First Nation and  Pikwàkanagàn  First Nation conducted the Pow Wow. It was held in Smiths Falls, on Duck Island.

I really enjoyed the dancing. The regalia is amazing. Beautiful, beautiful colours, styles and traditions. Now, one doesn't take photos during certain ceremonies, but the dancers were amazing during the competition and the fund dances. There was some inter-tribal dancing, when we white folks can get up and dance, but we pale in comparison!
 I bought a wild rice salad, hubby had a strawberry drink.

Our grandie has had her ears pierced, and we bought a pair of earrings from one vendor. The older they get, the less we see them, as they are busy. I don't think we see the kids until August! Sad!
announcement
location

7 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Having attended a corrobboree in OZ, I too appreciate and admire cultures which have held on through all the advances of modernism (aka white invasion). Some of these costumes are amazing! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I have never been to a pow wow, which I guess is a bit odd since my daughter played on the Reserve softball team in Sarnia for two years, and I was the Asst Coach.

Nancy J said...

What a great event, and the traditional costumes, what work making them, gathering the feathers, fur, sewing and hand stitching.We don't see much of our family either, too far for day trips now.

William Kendall said...

Every step taken in the direction of reconciliation is so much the better. There are still too many people who just shrug it all off.

Red said...

Awesome photos. Good on you for attending a powwow. You're right. We have to talk to each other.

Kay said...

I've heard about pow wows and always wanted to see one. Thank you for sharing the photos. What fun!

Lowcarb team member said...

How fantastic, I'd not heard of this. So pleased you went along.

All the best Jan