Wednesday 6 April 2011

Signs of spring: heron return ♥


Can you see them?
Forgot her sweater!
Yes, this is one sign of spring, but the heron are the sure sign!

Our neighbour told us the heron were back. I believed them, and decided to take a walk to take some photos. A dark, rainy day, I was undaunted. The traffic did faze me some...but the snow was the last straw!


A little closer in...

I have far better shots of heron, with the greens and blues of summer.

Here are my photos from last year.


Me and my dumb ideas. It looked like rain, but thought I'd take a walk to see the heron rookery. As I was videotaping there the traffic sped by, sorry for the noise! Then the rain began. I packed up. It turned to snow on the walk home!

5 comments:

Roan said...

Enjoyed the video. I wonder why they build their nests in the top of the trees. Seems like the wind would blow them away. They are majestic creatures. I sometimes see a blue heron at my brother O's pond. So far he's escaped my camera. I'll keep trying. The shots from last summer are wonderful.

Olga said...

Ah, yes--lovely springtime in the north country. Looks just like the view out my window.

Amila Kanchana said...

Hi Jenn, That's great! So we could expect some great photos of spring to come couldn't we?

Jenn Jilks said...

Good Q, @BJ Roan!
With the wolves, fishers, raccoons, they need to for protection!
I am hoping for better photo ops. But with spring, bugs are sure to follow...

Rusty said...

I never realized they would build their nests on what seems like a very flimsy base.Also very exposed to stormy weather. Oh boy, I can imagine what the blackfly and mosquito population will be like before too long. (Not to mention horse flies, deer flies, etc).