Saturday 9 April 2011

Bird songs, flying things

Still sick and coughing.
Grackles upstairs, red-winged blackbirds downstairs
Camera Critters
Visit more CC

Now, this is not to say that I have remained indoors. No, not me. Here are shots of my flying friends. The birds (right) were sitting eating the deer feed!

We had one night where the temperature rose to something like +15 C., and me and my buddy, Oliver, went outdoors. We heard something out there. I figured it was a bird, the way he was chasing it. The sound was amazing.

It was brown, about the size of a robin, and made the silliest sound. I tried to videotape the bird, but couldn't get an image, only the sound. Today's Camera Critters post has to be photos of critters I have captured.


Not flying but bird watching,
and sharpening claws!
However, for those keen birders, I'd love to know what this bird might be! Bearing in mind we live in S.E. Ontario. North America has such a wide variety of birds!

flying in circles
Finally, I went on-line, and found Birdjam. Not bad, at all. Bird songs, in small snippets, organized by type or habitat: warbler, city bird, countryside, wetland, forest. But it didn't help.
If anyone can identify this bird for me, I'd be really grateful!

12 comments:

Carletta said...

I can't identify the bird but it has a unique sound that a more knowing birder will recognize.
I love the Grackles in the sunlight but they can eat me out of birdseed in a days time. :)
What a cute little helicopter.

Carletta's Captures

Anonymous said...

Sweet bird pics! Can't help you with the mystery bird though.

Amila said...

Quite a lot of birds at the feeder Jenn,nice!

EJ said...

Lovely!

My Critters, have a good weekend.

Lyzzydee said...

Hello Jen.
I listened but have no idea!!

You can never take too many pictures said...

Wow that is unusual.....we have a bird song identifier and so I'll play it and see if it's there....Nope Sorry it wasn't, Good Luck!!!!!

Chubskulit Rose said...

So cute!


Here's my entry, have a great weekend!

Powell River Books said...

No help here either. Another site I like for birds is Cornell's http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search - Margy

Marie said...

I'm sorry I can't indentify your bird, either. It has a very distinctive call, so I hope someone recognises it as I'm now quite curious myself. The birds are always so wonderful to watch - I can lose hours just observing them flitting about - it's so uplifting.

Michael said...

Looks to be a good year for birds. Nice pics.

Roan said...

I can't help identify the mystery bird. I only started trying to photograph them last summer, and although I have been listening to birds sing most of my life, I still can't match a sound to the bird. I'm learning though. Loved your post!

EG CameraGirl said...

How frustrating to try to identify a bird. I have tons of experience of NOT being able to identify various one, unfortunately. I am such a BEGINNER!