Wednesday 21 April 2010

Ain't no flies on us:

Another drive-by set of shootings. Firstly, the horse. Can you see the blackflies swarming her? Honestly, not being a horse person, I didn't check if it was a him or a her! I didn't notice anything particular, I assume it was a her!

This red-tailed hawk was a beauty.





At Sparrow Lake, this is the goose giving the gander the gears.

Next, a porcupine that didn't make it. I've never seen one close-up. 
The family, especially the dog, laughed as they passed me! Poor Brian sitting in the car, shaking his head, keeping away from the blackflies, me taking photos with flies swarming.

Torrance Barrens is amazing.
The turkey, having crossed the road, is nearly invisible. If anyone can explain how to better focus my lens, I've love the tip! If I could think faster, I would.



We went looking for the weasel, and found a fox, instead. Serendipity meets irony, perhaps.

The fox stood and stared at me. Silly 2-legged one. Waskully weasel. Witty fox.


I am constantly amazed with camouflage. We spotted this critter at the side of the road. Can you see her? She thought I couldn't see her. They freeze, thinking they can hide in the shade of the tree.

Bearing in mind the first photo of the horse, I suppose I lied.

I leapt out of the car, grabbed the camera, NOT the zoom lens (duH-with a capital 'H'), forgot the videocam.

And where do you thing the blackflies were? Not on Brian, tucked nicely in the car. He's no fool.

The things I do for love (of blogging)! She looks at me like I'm nuts. And I am. Flies swarming...

Do you know where calamine lotion comes from? I do. I love AWAD.
ETYMOLOGY:
After Cadmus, a Phoenician prince in Greek mythology who introduced writing to the Greeks and founded the city of Thebes. Near the site where Cadmus was to build Thebes he encountered a dragon. Even though he managed to kill the dragon, only five of his comrades survived, with whom he founded the city. Other words coined after him are calamine (a pink powder used in skin lotions), from Latin calamina, from Greek kadmeia ge (Cadmean earth) and the name of the chemical element cadmium.

The deer thought I was OK. No guns booming, only camera clicking. And she fed a bit on the grass.
Turning tail as she ran off. I chased them, there were 3 or 4, having gone back to the car for the videocam. How pointless, but good exercise!
Click on it for a higher resolution photo. Ah, swamps in April....
There ain't no flies on us
There ain't no flies on us
There may be flies on some of you guys, 
But there ain't no flies on us!

2 comments:

Cloudia said...

Spring Road Trip!


Thanks (signed "Island Inmate :)



Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a nice collection of photographs. Tulsa has a fox that lives right on the Arkansas river banks. I've ran into him twice while running early morning but I haven't had a camera either time. He's very bold and fat for a fox. I think from the neighborhood cats and dogs.