Monday 19 April 2010

My world includes a wheelbarrow

It feels good to dig in the dirt. I am happy to have a nice pile of top soil in which to play, securely wrapped under a nice blue tarp.

I listened to a CBC Radio show during which the interviewee, a Protestant man of the cloth from England, flogging some book or other, who felt that in adulthood we need to remember to play, to keep our child-like spirit.

I realised this when our 2-year-old poppet was visiting. Being with children keeps your eyes, if not your body, young!

This message has appeard to me several times through various medium: remember to play. I have decided to put my creative energy into my garden.

Can you spot the middle-aged photographer reflected in the glass doors, with Frosty in the foreground, and wheelbarrow in the background. Ready for work. What good exercise, as well as gardening therapy.


It is hard getting good helpers, though. My crew includes recalcitrant cats. They supervise once in awhile. Mostly they give words of encouragement. I have to stop and play with Oliver. He likes to chase the leaves blowing in the wind, a stick, you name it!
I am sure, being a retired sp.ed. teacher, he is ADHD. Never sticks around for long.


 Proudly, the roses my dad so lovingly cared for, are beginning to show foliage. I simply do not have his skill with his roses. I keep giving them Therapeutic Touch sessions to encourage them!

I built an art sculpture too. Three old, dead pieces of wood, with hollow centres. The top one was hollow only part of the way up. I piled them all on a galvanized post. The pileated woodpecker had done its thing to dig out bugs. 
And I have been creating a natural fence, sort of an experiment in creativity.



I read an article in which he suggests that teacher do not foster creativity. I agree. Most of the art activities they prepare tend to be the same in the long run. Not me. I let the kids design their own crafts and create unique items from the materials and supplies we had on hand, often fitting with our theme of the day.

On the Importance of Creativity

Fostering Creativity in Children Through Arts

"Creativity is a quintessential attribute of human beings. When combined with our ability to record and benefit from accumulated knowledge, it makes us the highest-order species on the planet. People throughout history have envisioned their surroundings in new and instructive ways, producing ideas, inventions and works of art that have radically changed life and added to our understanding of the planet and its place in the universe."
 
 I find my creative spirit flourishing in my garden. What a great place to play!

Here is a close-up of the Grecian Windflowers, in my garden.
One of my favourites!


The periwinkle is flowering, as are the star flowers.


Cheers for spring! A fancy dwarf daffodil.
The bright green clover is growing like stink with April moisture! And the moss is soft and moist.

And I spotted the first loon, off in the middle of the lake. Such a haunting cry.

MWT WhiteVisit more worldly bloggers at the My World meme.

8 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful post, Jenn! You do seem to have been busy! I love your photos! The flowers are exquisite! Thanks for taking us along! Hope you have a great week!

Sylvia

Animor said...

You have a lovely place, a wide area for gardening, you flower looks beautiful. Thanks for touring us to your garden.

SandyCarlson said...

The earth yields such beautiful treasures. It's an honor to be part of the process.

Cloudia said...

Glad you reached out with your therapeutic blog-touch, Jenn.



Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Good for you. I have been criticized for having too many hobbies. Phooey on them. I intend on having fun.

Carolyn said...

It is so wonderful to see the flowers and the delicate colour of the early spring leaves. I am jealous you have a garden to work in....I seem to always be admiring someone elses. Your granddaughter is soooo cute. Thanks for sharing Jenn.
Smiles

amatamari© said...

Your world today is my future ...
:-)
Thanks for this wonderful post and
the magnificent photographic series!!!

DeniseinVA said...

I really enjoyed this post, it makes me want to hop out into my garden.