Tuesday 20 April 2010

Bugs are early this year

On Monday, May 11, I was prompted to write a haiku...

spring sings in my world
brilliant petals painted bright--
black flies enter formation

Of course, the spring peepers are singing early, too!


Here is is April 20, and they are early. The blackflies are here. Good news for birds and bats, who have woken up early with warmer temperatures. You just have to go with the flow and prepare!

They dive in for your face, eyes, anywhere to take a chunk out of you. Far different than the mosquitos just suck up some blood.

Here is a photo of one in the house, with a flash, and another on the screen. Tricky shots as they do not survive in the house for long! (Praise be!)
Seriously, I far prefer them to the mosquitoes, who can survive indoors. I was sitting writing my blog last night, when I spotted one on my chair. It was quite lethargic.


Remember
protect your body, don't encourage the flying bugs:
  • NO perfumes, limit deodorant with scents, make-up and hair spray
  • wear long sleeves,tuck sleeves into gloves
  • tuck pant legs into socks
  • stay in open areas
  • burn candles, or other products, intended to attract and kill bugs
  • smoke a cigar (I sit down wind from my hubby and try not to breathe!)
  • use a reliable bug spray product (some prefer DEET-based products if allergic to bug bites)
  • spray on neck, hands and ankles (I use Skin-so-soft, from Avon)
  • go outdoors midday, when the sun is hot
  • stay in the wind!
  • there are a variety of hats and bug gear if you must work outdoors

The ants have begun to try to move in. Aside from an anteater, and we don't need another pet, there are things you can do.

Keep your cottage clean, especially if you go home for the week. Give a good spray before you leave, when kids and pets are in the car!


I spray a bug spray foam around the foundation, where the basement ceiling meets the wall. The flying insect spray work well, since it has an ability to launch it where I cannot reach. (At 5'4" I have inner bigness!) I don't think that the quality of spray is different, and I choose the type of spray for the job. This seems to keep them at bay. Whenever I see the odd ant I spray again around the door or window frame. It convinces them that I am serious. It is helpful to find out where they come in the house. I often give a spray at night under the sink where the garbage can sits. The moist pipes draw the attention of the ants and they will climb up them to a second story, too. Spraying these in the basement helps.

Outdoors, I spray the same spots, and around the windows I use the foam for ant hills, as the foam sticks better to the foundation and you can direct it easily. I spray the wood stove pipe, as they like to come in that way. Spraying on a calm day is crucial, but you only need spray directly beside the house!

7 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Great advice Jenn! I noticed some big carpenter ants on our deck now and then this Spring. We could not live without them - but DO NOT want any creepy crawlies in my house.

Patrick James said...

I knew there was a good reason to smoke cigars, to make the bugs stay away from me. Patrick (MrFrozenCanuck from youtube)

Jain said...

Enjoyed your video; it boggles my mind what large sounds such tiny creatures can make!

I'm south of black fly territory ("praise be!"). It's a dry spring and I can't believe mosquitoes aren't exploding yet (also praise be!)

I was in Ontario last week... you didn't happen to go to the Gordon Lightfoot show in London, did you? It was superb!

Powell River Books said...

One year Wayne and I took a flying trip through Canada. We crossed over Great Slave Lake (like flying over the ocean it is so big) and landed for fuel at Hay River. We wanted to walk to town to get something to eat, but the black flies were so bad we climbed back into the plane and got out of there. - Margy

Deb said...

I give up. What is that creature picking through the garbage. An Opussum with an unusual furry tail?

Michelle said...

Yup, black flies have arrived here in Eastern Ontario too! Earliest that I can remember...
I've heard that blackflies are important for pollinating blueberry plants... I don't know if this is true but I tell myself that it is so that I am more accepting of their existence!

Anonymous said...

i am from the city and planning to go for a weekend in huntsville ...first week of june, since the black flies season came early this year, do you think it will become tolerable by then?


if we are staying be a body of water, does that help