Thursday 22 April 2010

Volunteerism in Ontario



I am interested in the debate on *The Current of the demands the Ministry of Education makes on our high school students. They must 'volunteer' for 40 hours before they can graduate. [Policy/Program Memorandum No. 124a]

This is unfair for many kids: those who participate in high level sports, who have part-time jobs, those who have other priorities in their lives. This notion of volunteerism has spread to many sectors.Yet, the philosophy of the provincial government, is that many Transfer Payment Agencies, and other groups can only spend taxpayer dollars with volunteers who serve on Board of Directors.

I was in a meeting the other day. I am on the Board of Directors for FYCSM, and I am the Resource Committee chair. I also volunteer with Hospice Muskoka, I have one client I meet with weekly. I volunteer with Elke doing her Expressive Arts Therapy Bereavement classes for children. I teach creative writing at Beaver Creek. I blog about this.

During this meeting our ED was explaining that there are issues around training for Board members, especially those who work with Transfer Payment Agencies, like FYCSM. They are creating training opportunities, e.g., two-day events, and expecting Board members to attend with no compensation to them, their employers, and for those who are employed they must take a personal leave day from work, or make other arrangements.

You can imagine my anger with this expectation. I have served on enough Boards, been on a number of Boards, worked with Robert's Rules, and my time in precious to me.

What an insult to us as Board members.

The message from the Ministry is that Board members are not doing a good enough job, and we need training. Other EDs tell us that they simply ensure that they put retirees (like myself) in important positions in order for them to attend such propaganda meetings without cost to the Board or the TPA, or an employer. It is my belief that being on a Board of Directors one is elected, and is accountable. TPAs  and EDs should not be formulating Board representation, it is the Board as a whole and the electoral process that ensures we represent taxpayers. I am furious.
~~~~~~~~~~
*Compulsory Volunteering - If you force someone to volunteer, does it defeat the purpose? This is National Volunteer Week. And a large percentage of high school students have to do a certain amount of volunteer work before they can graduate. We look at how well that's working out.

No comments: