Thursday 22 April 2010

Did you hear them?

UPDATE: I have it on good authority that it was, indeed, a two alarm fire. In that there was a garage on fire on Trafalgar Road, as well as a false alarm at the the Dudley Inn motel. They called in back-up from Foote's Bay. That is why there were so many studly firefighters here! I love our volunteer men and women!

The sirens. In Bala. For almost a half hour or so. Most intriguing.  I can hear them coming along highway #169, then they stopped.

Dropping hubby off at his Habitat for Humanity meeting (they build one a year or so in Muskoka), I drove north apiece. (I love that word!)



What I noticed is obviously the numbers of crews, and equipment, but also the number of females.




What impresses me is that Muskoka has such a high number of female volunteer firefighters!

I don't know if young people understand how hard some women fought to become able to participate in these kinds of activities.

They were not accepted in the early days.

They faced much abuse in the beginning in the U.S., until it was simply part of the norm.

I notice, when you see media reports of crises in other countries further afield, is the sad lack of female participation. It was too late for me, but I do recall the time our neighbour's horse was hit by a car and both the veterinarian and the attending OPP constable were female.
This had to have been somewhere around 1990. And at that time it was glorious to see them.

What I celebrate in Muskoka, is that these people are volunteers. Strong men and women who are able to give back to their communities, day in, day out, and ensure that Muskoka is protected.
We need excellent equipment, due to the variety of the terrain (hills, valley, gravel, dirt roads), locations (e.g., islands!), and through rain, snow, sleet and hail.

They compete in the firefighter competitions, too.

Rumour in the pub was that it was a pulled alarm in the motel.
But I didn't see much action there!
It all took place near the Post Office at the two fire hydrants. I'm just sayin'!

It was a well-run exercise, with many working hard and fast.

Considering the wide range of heating sources in Muskoka, and the distances travelled from the trucks, to the volunteers, and the range in size of homes, I am glad we are well-equipped and prepared.

3 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Yes - Bravo to volunteers and particularly to female volunteers in previously male-only domains!

Martha Z said...

The younger generation of women takes for granted that they can do or be what ever they want. There is still discrimination, though, at least in the US. Women earn less than men doing the same job.
I once lived in a small town with a volunteer fire department. I remember being in the theater one night when the sirens went off. Many men left the theater by the side door, the quickest way to the fire station nearby.

WinemakerMatt said...

Penny Moore is one of the firefighters, and she's also the Assistant Winemaker at Muskoka Lakes Winery. It always blows my mind when she has to run out at noon, and is back filtering wine at two with another story about saving lives. Incredible!