Tuesday 15 September 2009

Ironman Muskoka 70.3 - terrific results

Huntsville was abuzz with people, volunteers and athletes this past weekend.
My friend, Nancy, who dreams of white taled dear, was a volunteer for the triathlon. She wrote about the event and her Aussie friends! Apparently, the Dorset volunteers were great, too! People came from far and wide to participate. Amy Moritz wrote of the fun and adventure of Muskoka, and spoke of the wide contingent of Buffalo folks.

Now, Huntsville is not a flat place to run or bike. (Apparently the water was quite even!) I adore the hills and trees as we drive through to visit family in Ottawa. I have many photos of hills, curving roads, people enjoying the region I choose to call home. You turn a corner and suddenly find a dock, marsh, bulrushes and a beautiful vista.

What is quite fun for me is reading about the journey. Lots of Ironmen/women have been blogging about their individual journey. They tell stories of strength, and many are women. Such terrific role models!

Amy Moritz said,
As the cyclists came through, someone on a megaphone was proclaiming emphatically, "Dorset welcomes you!" It seemed as if the entire town, was out, handing out water bottles and gels, offering cheers and encouragement. They lined the street through town and even decorated the one-lane bridge we passed over. For a moment, it felt like hitting one of those towns in the Tour de France and after miles of lonely road, the excitement was a definite pick-me up. (You can read her entire post here!)

What I read is the the volunteers were especially great! I knew that. We do much fundraising here. Our Bala Cranberry Festival draws 35,000 to a town with a Fall population of 650! It is the weekend after Canadian Thanksgiving in October.

But back to the Triathlon... great stories of persevering despite accidents and bruises, friends and loved ones, as well as volunteers, cheering the athletes on. I do so admire these people. I wish my back was not so bad and I could still run. Muskoka is a great place to do so! You don't have to be an elite athlete. We have lots who ride through and some even stay awhile!

Read more reports here, in order of appearance:

CANADIAN TRIATHLETE: Muskoka 70.3
By Syd Trefiak
Winding down the summer with a major race is always fun. Especially an Ironman sanctioned event, because you really feel like you are involved in something big. Especially with big name pros attending. Muskoka 70.3 lived up to this. ...
CANADIAN TRIATHLETE - http://canadiantriathlete.blogspot.com/


Nancy, at Bondi (you've got to stay there!) posted a new blog about the event, Did we mention the Hills for the Ironman 70.3? and a photo of Amy Moritz, at the finish of the grueling Muskoka Ironman 70.3 last weekend.

GU ENERGY | Blog » Blog Archive » GU Athletes Victorious at ...
By hbennett
GU athletes Craig Alexander and Mirinda Carfrae showed their finely tuned racing form with victories at the Ironman 70.3 Muskoka last weekend. Paul Matthews, another GU-fueled 70.3 phenom, claimed 3rd place in the men's race. ...
GU ENERGY | Blog - http://guenergy.com/blog/
Sean Bechtel: A few Pictures from Muskoka
By Sean Bechtel
A few Pictures from Muskoka. Posted by Sean Bechtel at 11:10 AM. 0 comments: Post a Comment · Older Post Home. Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom). Twitter Updates. Twitter Updates. follow me on Twitter. Blog Archive ...
Sean Bechtel - http://seanbechtel.blogspot.com/
addicted to training: Muskoka Race Report - Going To 70.3 World ...
By kyle65
I am really glad I raced in Muskoka and it has been a long time since my last 70.3 series race - Timberman 06 I think? That area is really beautiful and the cottage we had was great -right on the water and the kids spent the whole time ...
addicted to training - http://kyle65.blogspot.com/


Iron Motivation: Wow What A Weekend
By ironmotivation
Let me offer you one story, of a whole bunch that happened in Muskoka yesterday! Like I mentioned in my last blog we just had to get Luann in and everyone in our Iron Motivation and DRTC group would proudly be wearing a finishers medal ...
Iron Motivation - http://ironmotivation.blogspot.com/

Journey to the Finish Line: Back in the USA
By Blog Editor
Today was the return from Muskoka. A full race report will be coming on Tuesday, but some brief highlights. Of all the Buffalo Triathlon Club members who started the race, it appears all finished -- and a hearty congratulations to all! .
Journey to the Finish Line - http://blogs.buffalonews.com/journey_to_the_finish_lin/

KTC Hammer: 70.3 Muskoka Spectacular
By KTC Blog
Why did he make the trip to 70.3 Muskoka, because he had heard "good things about it". The morning was a typical Muskoka morning for September, & the man from Arizona ask "if this weather normal for around here? ...
KTC Hammer - http://kempenfelttriathlonclub.blogspot.com/


Ramblings of a Running Addict: Race Report: IronMan Muskoka 70.3
By Marci
I was pretty sure when I decided to complete my first triathlon that it would just be a fun little race to complement my running, but it turned out I absolutely LOVED my first triathlon and immediately signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 ...
Ramblings of a Running Addict - http://ramblingsofarunningaddict.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

This looks like such a great event...to watch. And read about on your blog. I admire athletes with tons of energy but I cannot imagine myself running and cycling through Muskoka. The roads are hilly and winding. ;-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm with you, EG! Normally the roads are tricky with crazy tourists, but this is a carefully monitored course. And all the comments mention those hills! Not for me - those big races. It just takes too much time from other things to work out and get primed for it. Time away from kids and family. But I laud them, just the same.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wow, there you go, you should enter next year.

Cloudia said...

have fun my friend!

aloha-

Comfort Spiral

Anonymous said...

If you want to see just HOW hilly, I've posted the elevation profile for the bike section, the bit that runs around "MY Muskoka," at Lake of Bays, on my blog,
http://bondi-resort-algonquin.blogspot.com
I get tired just looking at the profile of those hills!

Anonymous said...

Quite educating weblog, bookmarked the internet site in interest to see additional!