Wednesday 23 September 2009

Watery Wednesday #54 - a soft gray day





watery wednesday
On a lovely water day, the clouds were low, the sun peeked in and out, but the fish were dancing for rain.
They know that their lake is shallow and water is low. Maybe they were celebrating the Autumn Equinox!

I took my antique tripod out and set it up.

The early morning fog is amazing! We drove into town the other day. Quiet cottages, but foggy water.


The w/e visitors were having a grand time. They are slowly bringing in their boats, though. Soon the birds & fish can have their lake back.

I have given up trying to take photos of fish jumping. I just never will be able to be quick enough! I started the camera running and edited out the spots when they were not jumping! Here is a video about the ones that got away!

13 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I' with you. I have no idea how photgrapers catch jumping fish. ;-)

Gaelyn said...

Must be nice to enjoy the quiet.
Jumping fish or lightning, both tough to capture.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love watching fish leap, must be very difficult to catch on film!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for your sympathy. I it important to have goals, but the fish mystify me. Aren't you taking a photography course, Gaelyn? It would be great to know if I should not feel it is a challenge I might manage.

Lightning, yes, that is the other one. I do have a great video of that, as well! On the same principle: set up the videocam and edit out the boring bits!!!!

Judy said...

I love the mist rising from the water!
If you want to add to the list of impossible to shoot - how about clams jumping? I have only heard about it, as it happens more seldom than fish jumping.

Jenn Jilks said...

You're not kidding, are you Judy?! That's a hoot! Clams...

Pat said...

This looks like a beautiful, calm and quiet place. There is a river in Illinois where the fish jump out of the water and are known to jump RIGHT IN YOUR BOAT. I bet you could get a video of it there! I saw a snippet of something about it on TV. It was hysterical. The reporter actually wore a football helmet in the boat, and he got smacked in the head by a fish! LOL!

Mary said...

The video was a good idea. I never have any luck with things that move, whether they fly or jump :-)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: When I'm on the lake they usually jump behind me, talk about hard to capture. I would love to cast a line into that lake.

Esther Garvi said...

Lakes are great for outings!

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos! I see the fish jumping but i am never fast enough to catch them out of the water.

betty-NZ said...

Sounds a bit like trying to get shots of dolphins jumping!

Unknown said...

Misty mornings are magical. How nice that you can see the magic over the lake every misty morning.