Sunday 20 September 2009

Fall, fowl, & fog


What a joy! My geese came back.
It is officially here, IMHO. I woke to the sound of the honking this a.m., with a morning temperature of +6 C., I have begun to believe.
I threw them some cracked corn, and bid them farewell.

Light levels are so different, with the lakeshore in shade and the neighbour's dock and the far shore in sunlight.

The fog was dancing on the warm lake water in cool air temperatures. Yesterday, and for the previous few weeks, we have been able to read by the lake in the afternoon, after chores are complete! We'll need jackets.
Eva & her goslings came to visit once again. I heard them honking. I managed, finally, to get a fly by shooting of a true 'V' in formation. Eva & brood preferred to munch at our shore.

I love the talk in the grocery store lineups: complaints about raking leaves, mowing lawns, bringing in the boats (for many = plural). Fer gawd's sake, plant clover or another ground cover, or leave it natural. Hire a company but for Pete's sake: stop complaining when you have a beautiful property and manage to cottage in the land of lakes, water and sun. (We live here. We do not complain!)

Even the merganser has come back to visit. The perfect reflection of rock and bird pleased me!

11 comments:

Jain said...

Great photos, Jenn, loved your video, too.

Gaelyn said...

Jenn, it's all so beautiful and what a nice treat to have the geese return, even if only for a short while. Some people just feel the need to complain about something. Their problem.

ramblingwoods said...

Wow..You have some wonderful nature photos here. I love the waterfowl and right now we have mallards and canada geese on the back lawn near the pond. I too put out some cracked corn (never bread) as winter will be here soon... You might like my Nature Notes meme.... Michelle

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

In Oklahoma we say that some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. I've never quite got the point, but that is what is said.

Mary said...

A beautiful place and love all the water fowl. People will always find something to complain about even in the most beautiful places. I know I'm guilty of that at times...thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

These are all great shots, but the second one (the one on the left) is the best of the three. It has a Zen feeling to it. I love it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

great photos of geese and merganser, lovely video too

cieldequimper said...

Fantastic reflections here, such beautiful and calm shots.

James said...

Birds make such wonderful reflections on the water. These are so nice.

Thérèse said...

Nice and I saw the V formation in the sky...

Carolyn said...

Jenn, these are great photos, we have snow geese, brants, Canada geese and the HUNTERS across the road today! Your temperatures are lovely today.
Smiles