Saturday 12 September 2009

Migration and the end of summer

I know it is coming soon...don't want to wish the season away. I do want to laud it, though.

First the butterflies,

then the hummingbirds

The insects disappear into the forest floor.
The flickers, failing to find food, flee

The frogs, tadpoles and other amphibians, tuck their bodies into the mud.

The snapping turtles will be active for a long, long time, in frigid waters. I think I saw one as late as November last year.

People are putting their toys & tubes away: (thank goodness) gas-powered, smelly, noisy things,

water ski boats, and canoes, alike will be wrapped and tucked into bed for the winter.
The heron will no longer visit our shores. The lake will become quiet, and unlike folks in the city, we will not have unexpected 2-legged visitors to frighten or bemuse us.

5 comments:

An Unconventional Mummy said...

Then the season of the long dark cold quiet begins ...

Jenn Jilks said...

Actually, Mummy, living by a frozen lake, the winter never seems dark. The ice reflects the light. We have long walks on the ice, we even take the cats for walkies out on it!
The change helps me appreciate my world. Plus, no longer having yard duty I have learned to embrace the seasons!

Gaelyn said...

Just having all those stinky power toys off the lake is enough to welcome fall. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

there's a special hush that descends in September... birds moving out, cottages closed up. For the birds it makes sense, but all those people who prefer winter in the city... well, they need therapy, say I!

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree with you that every season has its beauty. I'm always surprised when people say how depressing autumn is because it means winter is coming. But maybe I wouldn't live in Canada if I hated winter. LOL

Your photos of the hummingbirds are stunning!