Thursday 3 September 2009

Who is that masked bandit?


After a restless night, painting in my sleep, nightmares about ladders, the caulking, and worrying about the work to be done...at 5:07 a.m. I heard something go bump in the night. If you look down into the can, under the white lid - there is a furry body! She didn't move at first, brother/sister took off when I threw the lights on!
Here is my story.


I arose before dawn
I heard such a clatter
Suppressing with a yawn
What could be the matter?

The moon it had shifted
A connection I made
My stupor was lifted
My shin the bed frayed


Stumbling on the deck
I flicked on the light
I said, "What the heck?"
Outdoor rustling not right

On the deck was the lid
In the photo you'll see
Bird seed no longer hid
Bandit hid well from me


She moved not a muscle
The can's lid a bonnet
She ate up: no hustle
I wrote her a sonnet

Slowly she departed
She admired my painting
Leaving scarcely a look
Fear not really feigning

My bed calls my body
Muscles sore from my work
The rock I must replace
My duties I won't shirk

Ergo this my lesson
As summer's departed
Remove the delicatessen
Before slumber's started

8 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Very funny!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

They are such ingenious, persistent little critters. Loved this post.

EG CameraGirl said...

Hahaha. Funny poem with good lesson learned. Hope no bandit takes that rock off the lid. ;-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Yogi!

It's the opposable thumbs, Bonnie!

So far the rock has done well for 3 years, EG, - when I remember to put it back on!!!!

Gaelyn said...

Wonderful ode to the masked one.

Michelle B. Hendry said...

:-) Loved that!
They are busy! An empty bottle was accidentally left outside my window. I had a 4 am reminder!

Powell River Books said...

Very creative. We caught our third woodrat on the deck last night. We have released all of them in the same location in case they are related. Last year three was the lucky number. Hope it's over for this season as well. - Margy

Vagabonde said...

This is truly a nice little poem – I wish I was that facile with the English language.